Saving a Vinyl Window?

I have a problem with a vinyl horizontal slider window set in a basement wall. Neither sash will slide more than an inch or two. There is a definite hump in the lower frame rail that binds the sashes. I have access to the indoor face of the window due to a remodelling project.

If I dig out the excess foam under the window, is the frame likely to straighten out? The window is about 10 years old - will the vinyl have taken a permanent "set" by now?

I'd rather not replace the window as I don't plan on being in this house much longer. Could just leave it for the next guy I suppose, but then it would just be one more thing for the inspector to write up at sale time.

Suggestions and/or sympathy appreciated.

Reply to
WandererFan

This was exactly how defective installation was remedied in this house last summer: but the defect was noticeable only a couple of weeks after the window was installed, and fixed within a month.

You should ask a vinyl window manufacturer: but it seems unlikely.

In your case, it seems important to find out the cause, i.e. whether the foundation has shifted since the window last opened freely (not specified here.)

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Can't remember that window ever opening, but that could be a comment on my memory as much as anything else. We very seldom have cause to open it even the couple of inches it will allow.

There is a nearby foundation crack that has been there for years (before we moved in). Would think it has done all the moving it's going to do baring earthquakes.

Reply to
WandererFan

You could put a screw in the track to pull it straight if you can find a place to put the screw where it is not a problem.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

If there is foam in there that you think may be pushing the bottom rail up, I think that digging the excess foam out may work. After digging it out, you may need to place a piece of wood in the bottom rail where the window rides and then very carefully tap down on the wood to get the rail to go down a little. Put a thin piece of wood or metal in front of the glass to protect that while you are tapping with the hammer.

Reply to
RogerT

Dig out the foam, install a board slightly longer than the distance from the bowed side to the opposite side and wedge it gently in place. Leave it in place for a few days, then check to see if the window works better. Repeat as needed. If it fails, bite the bullet and replace the window. The replacement will be a selling point if you decide to move.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

A replaced replacement window is no selling point over an original replacement window that works.

Reply to
clare