Save that turkey deepfry oil for biodiesel

Of course it is good for cooking more than once, but many who do it for Thanksgiving only cook that way once a year. You can look up a local biodiesel producer on the internet, don't make a special trip and use more energy than you save, wait until you have an errand to run to that part of town anyway. (You can store and carry it in the same container you bought it in.) Or you can pour it into the grease bin behind a local grill, just don't throw it away. It is usually peanut oil, which is great feedstock for biodiesel.-Jitney

Reply to
jtnospam

Every little bit helps I guess. Your suggestion of not wasting a trip is a good one. I think the biodiesel option is more hype than success though. It needs to be processed quite a bit and mixed with regular diesel to protect the engines and run properly. The final price is higher than normal also. You are paying for the "green option." Not really a "green option" either considering the polution involved. At least it's using something that might have been wasted.

Reply to
Al Bundy

In 1988, personal computers used to cost almost as much as a small car. Economies of scale changed that. Maybe the same will happen with biodiesel, if suppliers see a viable market.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It wasn't so much economies of scale, it was making the parts overseas in low-wage economies.

The cheapest biodiesel will come from abroad.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Eeyore wrote

No they didnt.

There was much more involved in the price than that.

It wasnt economics of scale at all.

Nope. We saw an even more dramatic reduction in price with say cpus and memory which have bugger all wage economics involved.

Have fun explaining why the cheapest corn etc doesnt.

The reason it doesnt is industrial scale agriculture that doesnt happen in low wage economys.

Reply to
Rod Speed

If that were so then why is chip packaging so often done in Malaysia / Philipines etc ?

Can you imagine how much genuine US made drives used to cost ? Or power supplies ? Or cases ? Or generic peripherals ?

Why did a US made Microsoft mouse cost £20 when a far eastern one cost $3 ?

They won't use corn. More like palm oil and jatropha. These are far better sources of suitable vegetable oil anyway.

So why is Malaysia gearing up for palm oil production then ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Eeyore wrote

Thats a tiny part of the price. Might as well do the packaging in a low labor cost country with something that portable.

I know what they used to cost, I bought plenty of them.

All of those too.

The current MS mice still have that sort of margin over the cheapest and arent made in the US anymore, and havent been for a long time now.

Not a chance, those dont produce anything like the volume needed.

I wasnt talking about corn as a source of veg oil, just as an example of a crop that is produced in the first world using industrial scale agriculture that doesnt get used in the low labor cost countrys.

Because there is a market for that.

Separate matter entirely to whether the same dramatic reduction in cost will be seen as was seen with ram and cpus and hard drives.

Palm oil production isnt suited to industrial scale agriculture.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Not if it's done in the West !

Ireland and Mexico for the two I have here.

Ireland most certainly isn't a low wage economy.

Oh yes they do. They are in fact the two best yielding sources of vegetable oil.

Industrial agriculture isn't needed for them !

As fuel too.

Ram and CPUs are still the 2 priciest components in a PC !

It doesn't need it.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Eeyore wrote

Yes it is, because its automated and you just need a machine minding monkey, and bugger all hours of its wages for each item, so its undoubtedly high wages dont add much at all to the cost of what is packaged with it minding the machine.

My last MS mice came from China.

There isnt all that much wage involved in one of them, and significant incentives to set up factorys there.

Oh no they dont.

Wrong, as always.

Corse it is, thats what slashed the costs.

They will produce bugger all veg oil that way.

They produce FAR more real oil.

Sure, but we saw dramatic reductions in the price they once were, and we wont see anything like that with biodiesel.

Corse it does, thats a major part of the cost of it.

Reply to
Rod Speed

The largest cost in most PeeCees these days is not silicon at all. It's that s**te from Redmond.

Reply to
krw

Technically this is true, at least in the low end PCs with 512MB of RAM, and a low-end CPU, not including an LCD monitor. The operating system costs the manufacturer more than any single component in the machine, including the disk drive, motherboard, and case.

Reply to
SMS

SMS wrote

s**te from Redmond.

low-end CPU,

Nope.

Its gotta have a monitor to be viable.

the machine,

Nope.

Reply to
Rod Speed

that s**te from Redmond.

a low-end CPU,

in the machine,

Yes it does.

Reply to
Eeyore

An OEM license of XP Home costs the manufacturer between $45 and $65 depending on the quantity purchased, with XP Professional costing another $20-30.

On a low-end PC this is more than any other single component, including the CPU, disk drive, Motherboard, or RAM (512MB). On higher end PCs the OS is not the most expensive part, as the larger drives, higher-end CPUs and increased amount of RAM push up the costs of these other components.

This is why there's a big incentive to sell higher end machines, the OS is a fixed cost no matter how much the machine costs.

Reply to
SMS

on the quantity

You've just plucked those numbers out of your arse.

Pity about the monitor.

higher-end CPUs and

fixed cost no matter

Mindlessly silly. Have fun explaining why there is a push to sell high end cars too, when those dont even have an OS.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Yes they do.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Eeyore wrote

No they dont. Thats not an OS, thats just the code in the electronic controls.

Reply to
Rod Speed

You need to read up a bit.

OS needn't mean something like Windows or Linux or even DOS btw.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Eeyore wrote

You need to take Bullshitting 101.

No one ever said it did. There is however a difference between code in a computer and an OS.

AND even if cars did have OSs, and they dont, that is not the reason car manufacturers make more money on the more expensive cars anyway.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Your info is out of date.

I never said it was.