Save removal abandoned fr

Jerry:

JW> I have lived in my house in Silver Spring MD JW> for last ten years, a pole mounted gas lamp JW> in front yard has always been inoperative. JW> JW> What is involved in safely removing it JW> with respect to the gas feed? Where is JW> this type of appliance connected to the gas JW> mains?

First is to be certain the gas is off, of course. Our gas lights (one in front, one at a back corner) had their shut off valve located at the back of the house, tapped from the feed to the gas dryer. We thought this was the feed to the gas grill also - saw-saw-saw -- hisssss! (Oh !) Found another semi-inaccessible gas shutoff tapped from the gas stove feed. (Don't know if the installation was professionally done or not.)

So in light of this near-disaster, I would follow your gas pipes and shut off what I think is the feed to your gas light. I would then trace that feed to be double-sure, if possible. Else I would probably shut the gas off to the entire house, nick a hole in the feed pipe, turn the gas on part way while someone is standing a slight distance from the nick to be sure no gas is escaping.

BTW, you will notice a major drop in your utility bill without the gas lights!

  • You're old when "Heartache Tonight" now "Heartburn Tonight".
Reply to
barry martin

How will he notice a drop in his gas bill, when he said the thing has NEVER worked????? DUH !!!!!

Reply to
dot

"NEVER worked" doesn't mean that it's not still spewing gas.

Reply to
JerryMouse