Save My Marriage!

I dropped my wife's favorite cake dish and the pedestal base came off. It's a mushroom shape in profile, coffee cup sized base with a dinner dish sized cake dish on top. The original clear, hard as glass glue remains on the plate. How do I get this off and once off, what type adhesive/glue do I use to reattach the base and plate? All advice appreciated.

Bronx Joe

Reply to
Joe Viola

Duct tape.

Reply to
Dan C

Are you sure that "hard as glass" glue is not really glass? I'd check out some local glass workers, glass blowers, stained glass people that may be able to put it back together again. A good epoxy will hold for a while, but the dishwasher may do it in.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That hard-as-glass glue is likely just the glass weld between the plate and the column. I use epoxy for glass repairs, but this joint gets a lot of torque, and it is likley not fixable, and cannot be washed except by hand, after such a difficult repair. Sorry about the marriage consequences...........

Reply to
Roger Taylor

I would try epoxy. Otherwise, the options seem to be limited to finding a glass place that can "weld" them together with glass. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Save your marriage, go out and buy a replacement nicer than what you broke. Putting a cake in it might be a nice touch.

I grew up in the Baychester area.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Use some cheap crazy glue to stick it temporarily and place it where your wife will bump it and smash it to pieces ;)

Reply to
Nick Hull

Geez people. How can you give this man advice without knowing what the wife looks like?

°_°
Reply to
Steve Kraus

You have a point there. Might be easier to replace the wife.

Bob

Reply to
Robertm

Screw that. Go out and buy a replacement wife that isn't so hung up on an inanimate object which clearly was broken by accident.

Reply to
Larry Bud

Screw that.

Then he'll be paying for the new wife AND the cake dish.

Reply to
Dan Espen

find a glass blower & have them fix the dish

Reply to
BobK207

find a glass blower & have them fix the dish

Reply to
BobK207

on the plate or the wife?

Reply to
Gazoo

pedestal base came

sized base with a

clear, hard as glass

once off, what

plate? All advice

than

touch.

isn't so hung up on

accident.

And the old wife??

Reply to
Bob

-> I dropped my wife's favorite cake dish and the pedestal base came off.

-> It's a mushroom shape in profile, coffee cup sized base with a dinner

-> dish sized cake dish on top. The original clear, hard as glass glue

-> remains on the plate. How do I get this off and once off, what type

-> adhesive/glue do I use to reattach the base and plate? All advice

-> appreciated.

->

-> Bronx Joe

My vote is for going out and buying a new, crystal cake dish. Wrap it as a gift and present it with a sincere apology.

Reply to
Suzie-Q