satin or flat finish on imperfect surface?

Going to be painting my cbs house which has some uneveness in the finish where paint has peeled and been cleaned off. So there are going to be different layers of paint on the otherwise fairly smooth surface.

I'd like to use a satin paint but wonder whether satin highlights things like this more than flat. Do lighter colors show imperfections more or less than dark?

AB

Reply to
al

Fill in the imperfections with durabond and sand and prime on trim, on walls flat shows less problems

Reply to
m Ransley

Concrete block and stucco? We have same, which was repainted 5 years ago. It was peeling horribly because previous paint job was applied with no prep or cleaning. Pressure washing blasted off tons of paint, a mess. We had a number of hairline cracks, which were patched with brushable caulk (by contractor). Prime and one coat of acryllic latex semi - looks great. I see no sign of previous peeling or irregularity, other than texture of stucco. Usual paint for cbs in Florida is acryllic latex semi-gloss, as semi keeps stuff from growing on it as easy. We had some chips and broken places in stucco which hubby and I patched with latex base stucco patch (DIF?), which comes in a tub from HD. Works easy and blends nicely. Our contractor sprayed with bleach prior to pressure washing, although there was a lot of mildew under the old, peeling paint. They did a great job and it still looks good. If you aren't in hot/humid climate, practices may be different.

Reply to
Norminn

What is a CBS house? Concrete block and stucco? If so, you are talking about exterior? Or are we talking interior on plaster / drywall?

Generally speaking flat will make any cracks or imperfections less noticeable. W/o knowing about cbs houses you may have other considerations that may take precedence over hiding imperfections.

Why don't you fix, or have fixed, the walls before paining? Just a thought.

Reply to
No

It's a late '50s south florida concrete block house. I don't know whether the finish is stucco or not. When I think of stucco I think of a heavily textured finish that's on mediterranean style houses, for example. This house has a fairly smooth finish with just a couple of hairline cracks. But as with the house of the poster above, the last time it was painted it got a lousy prep job so there're a few areas of peeling paint which when removed will result in multiple layers of paint next to two layers (one prime/one finish) leaving a demarkation. Removing *all* the paint would really be the only fix I think. Not really practical.

But you guys have answered my question anyway. Flat is better for hiding imperfections. I wonder though, if I were to go ahead with satin, whether a lighter color would be more forgiving than a darker one, or vice-versa.

Thanks...

Reply to
al