sateliite antenna

Page 1 of 2
My HOA wants me to paint the 18"satellite antenna and coax to match the residence color. At times I think the HOA get intoxicated with their power. Just a few years ago they denied these antennas. Can they make me paint it? Thank you, Seamus J.Wilson
I don't think so. I don't know if there is any truth in it, but my installer told me that it's illegal for on HOA to deny anyone to put up a dish. I that's true, then I would think that the HOA also cannot force you to take any action which could harm the dish. Make then show you in the by laws where it says you have to paint it.
Thank you for answer. Seamus J

I once had a fight with a housing co-oeprative. They didn't like my kids slide. They sent a letter to us demanding removal (though it had been around for a couple of years with no issues). We told them to take a hike. They then sent us a letter telling us to appear before the board and if we didn't, that they would evict us. We got a lawyer to write a letter for us. That scared them into backing off. They did send an eviction notice to a friend of mine. He told them to wad it up real tight and shove it. He then stopped paying rent, figuring that if he was evicted, then he didn't have to pay, and he also wanted his day in court. That day came and he wound up having to pay about 60% of the back rent owed and they were never able to boot him out. He smiled all the way to the bank.
Tell the HOA to stick it. They are pretty much powerless to do anything except whine at you.

They are powerless except for the lien they can put on your property for fines and late fees when you don't pay up. It doesn't become a problem until you want to sell.

Read your contract before saying no. Will painting it be all that hard. If others are painting their dishes then it isn`t worth the fight over 1 hrs work. You knew you were moving into this type of compliance before you signed your individuality away.
Saying he signed away his individuality is a bit harsh, don't you think?

Matt, I have been reading and laughing at yuor posts all day (Sunday 1-30-05) and have a feeling you're a pretty smart/intelligent guy. I have read a lot of things both bad and good about HOA's and I believe that it is very possible that the staement is pretty acurate in some of them. Individuality is a funny thing. They may all wnat the same thing in a HOA, that's why they have no need for individuality. But when a newcomer buys into the HOA community, they are often Stricken by some rules that are not what they expected.............they expected protection from folks running down the property values, say, and they get a legal bill from hell instead, because they only mow once a week or twice a month, and the HOA says your grass has to be kept at some perfect length that requires more frequent mowing than the buyer had in mind.........................See how simple it is?
Yeah, It's pretty much signing up to give up your individualism in some of 'em. Nothing short of giving up homeowner rights in some others too...................Very difficult stuff.
I figure you probably already know this stuff, but it's worth stating anyway.
Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
MUADIB
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:59:18 GMT, MUADIB

If you buy into a condo or other HOA and you don't take time before you cimmit to read the rules, CC&R and some meeting minutes, you are an idiot whod eserves a good "thwap".
I don't know of a single state where the laws don't support a potential buyer being given reasonable access to all of the above ahead of time. If a seller or HOA is being coy and doesn't want to let you see them ahead of time, run away quickly something odd is going on.
Jim P.

They probably CAN make you paint it. Just like they can tell you what color flowers are allowed, and how many goats and chickens you can keep. That's part of the joy of living in a controlled community. You agreed to abide by their rules when you signed on. If you don't want to live like that, sell the place and buy your own private piece of the rock.
BB

As per the Telecommunications Act of 1996 they cannot deny you the use or installation of any antenna or dish (must be less than 39 inches in diameter) that is used to receive signals. However they do have the following statement in the law:
A requirement to paint an antenna in a fashion that will not interfere with reception so that it blends into the background against which it is mounted would likely be acceptable. In general, the costs imposed by local regulations cannot be unreasonable in light of the cost of the equipment or services and the visual impact of the antenna.
However, if the paint interferes with the ability of the dish to perform it's function, you do not have to paint it. They can require you to paint the cable though.
If you do bite the bullet and paint the dish, you need to locate some "flat" paint for it. Shiny paint will reflect the sun onto the receiving part (I cannot remember the three letters that designate it) and can damage it or reduce its effectiveness.

with
mounted
or
Take advice on the type of paint - it can be done with the right stuff. Having said that, I'd be up for the fight just on the principle .

the residence color.
I am pretty sure this would degrade antenna.
It has a special type of paint, plus surface designed to reflect waves to the elliptic axes.
I would call DSS or Dish and ask if they would support such application. Esp if antenna & system is rental. Take they answer and show middle finger to HOA.
Brian
It wont degrade the antenna, they are painted now, mine works covered half in snow or fully in pouring rain. They were designed large for a reason, if the dish was 80% smaller rain would probably effect it.

The FCC has a tight set of regs regarding what limits an HOA can require on a dish. These rules trump local laws or an HOA's CC&R.
If your dish is entirely within a "limited common use" area reserved for your exclusive use such as a patio or a balcony, the only rule they can make is to prohibit you from drilling holes in the outside wall. The dish must not prject outside of your exclusive use area in this case.
If your dish cannot be situated entirely within an exclusive area of your own, the HOA must make reasonable accomodation to allow you to install it.
They *can* require you to paint it under those circumstances but only if it will not interfere with signal reception. Check with your dish suplier and get an answer in writing.
Federal law is very clear on this that an HOA has very restricted rights about how they can regulate small (under 18" ) dishes.
An excellent Q&A is available on the FCC website at
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
Jim P.
(President of an HOA but IANAL)

BUT before they can do that they have to prove that it will in no way interfere with the signal reception - this would require the HOA to employ an EXPERT at their expense to do this!

The FCC rules apply to dishes less than 1 meter ~39" in the lower 48 states (no size limit for dishes in Alaska), as well as over the air TV antennas.
You might have to pick the kind of paint carefully. I don't know to what extent the thickness and composition of the existing paint (powdercoat?) are part of the design.
Perce
On 01/28/05 01:14 pm Sligo tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 11:52:49 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"

Read the Directv or Dish webiste FAQ!
CLearly says that you can paint the dish with a non refelctive paint. Just don't paint the LNB lol