satallite TV

Page 2 of 2
On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 10:39:05 -0400, Metspitzer

I have 2 dish boxes with 2 tuners in each. They output on 4 different "cable" channels (73, 75, 77, 79). I also have a Replay TV on broadcast channel 3, an agile modulator on channel 68 for the PC I have connected and an antenna amp that puts out the 15 or so local channels on their respective broadcast channel. All of this is in the living room.
All of this gets merged into a big distribution amp that feeds all of the other TVs in the house
I have plenty of channels.
The Dish boxes have RF remotes for 2 of the tuners (chan 73 and 79) If you have either of them you put the TV on the respective channel and run the dish box with that remote from wherever the TV is.

The Viacom channels? They'll be back but I don't miss them myself. One reason I hesitated going to SAT was loss of signal. In two years, it has been out for a brief time twice. I'm talking 10 minutes or less. Our cable company would go out if the weatherman even predicted rain. In high winds and two winters of snow, not a bit of loss.

I easily get 3MB but I'm probably closer tot he substation. Our cable company would be faster, but the price was $20 more. Yes, I'd pay 5 bucks for faster, but not $24. Flor $10 more, I can get slower service from MetrocCast. They offer an Ultra package for $70 and depending on location, speed can be ither 25 mb or 10 mb. Probably depends on local infrastructure.

Yes. I watch TVLND sometimes.

Our DISH went out whenever there was a minor storm in the area. The only time (only been here two months) DirectTV has gone out was last night when a fairly severe T-cell was parked right over us.

Cable Internet was actually $5 cheaper than DSL in my apartment, locally. 2MB (even 3) is marginal. With DSL at the other house I might just as well use dial up, though it would be more expensive.

Me too. Luckily I moved and they could not get line-of-sight at the new location. Contract cancelled! :-)

My Directv doesn't call home ever and I don't pay the $5 extra. They can of course check thru the satellite if my receiver is legit or not.

Not check, rather they send out authorization codes which the receiver matches. The satellite link is only one-way.
On 7/11/2012 12:58 AM, Doug wrote:

have POTS lines anymore. After you hit a certain dollar value the receiver will not let you choose paid programming.
There is nothing can can check remotely since satellite as used by DTV is unidirectional.