Satalite Dish?

Page 1 of 2
As opposed to cable I'm sure they have more station options but what about repair? Can the dish be positioned where the "elements" can't get to it and what about repair costs?
Rose *************************************** "Give A ShoutOut To The World!" Put Your Voice Message Online at: The ShoutOut Page http://members.aol.com/Roseb441702/shoutout.htm
They often have more stations, like 23 golf stations in 8 languages. They often (but not always) do not have local programming. They are designed to handle the "elements" so that is not a problem, but they must be placed where they can see the part of the sky where the source is and they may be effected by bad weather.
All in all, they are not bad, but I am sticking to cable.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
You will I am sure get lots of answers.
Comes down to
More choices Need a box in each room to watch different channels
weather can effected
Mount low enough so you can get to it. Try to place so snow will not collect
Local stations not available everywhere cost about 5 bucks more/month
Cable is very competitive as far as cost
Watch out for all the 150 channel claims! Usually 20 or so are music and 10 might be PPV as well as 5 selling you stuff like QVC and HSN!
Wayne

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnospam (Roseb441702) wrote in message

What repair did you have in mind?
There is no need to shelter the dish. It's designe to handle the elements. Do you wear outshoes to protect your rain boots?
I have a big screen TV. The picture quality with cable just plain sucks. It looks like bad program from 1960. The picture quality from satelite is comparable to DVD. And you don't have to buy the whole package to get the very last one program you want to watch.
The only draw back is that you need one receiver for every single TV set in your household, unless you want play the same program on all the sets. But most dealers give you additional receiver for free.
Don't forget you have to pay $5 plus for every other TV you have to hook up. I think this is a rip-off. With cable TV you can hook up as many TV's as you want. My reception on cable is excellent. I also have cable internet that just smokes. I get download speeds between 350 and 425.

My ADSL gives me 212 up, and 1220 down. Yours smokes?

But to get pay/digital programs from cable on multiple TVs, you need to pay at least $5/month anyway.

Most current cable systems need a decoder box for each TV you want to have a different channel displayed,for which they charge extra.
--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
remove null to contact me

That's probably an older system.Newer cable systems encrypt all the channels so that unauthorized people cannot tap into it,allows for pay-per- view,can be turned on/off remotely,or new channel packages enabled,not requiring a visit from the 'cable guy',and it also allows them to 'rent' extra cable boxes for additional revenue. Only 70 channels indicates an older system,too.
--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
remove null to contact me

There's no correlation between scrambling all the channels and new systems.
It depends entirely on how paranoid the cable company is. They were doing in it southern california in the mid 80's. They've yet to do it most elsewhere.
It is not an older cable system. Our system is a fiber optic system. To get more than 70 channels I have to go to a digital subscription, and pay a lot more. Why do I need more channels when I can't watch all that I am getting now? I get 3 PBS stations and all the sports channels and I do not need a cable box to get them all and can connect as many sets up as I want.

Then there's nothing stopping you from running a cable to your next-door neighbor to give him free cable,or split the bill with him for doing it. You have an unsecure system.
--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
remove null to contact me

Not mine,formerly Time-Warner,now called BrightHouse.They have total scrambled system;no decoder box(addressable),no cable,period.

Not according to the industry cable magazines I subscribed to as part of my job.Extra cable boxes were said to be very profitable rentals.Authorizing them these days does not require much labor,no home visit.(just as pay-per- view works.)
--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
remove null to contact me

It cost money to purchase, warehouse, prepare, repair, deploy, and if one comes back unrepairable, and also the cost of authorizing it. If anything, the satellite providers are profiting, as they aren't taking a loss on hardware, the customer.
FWIW, until last year, Canadian satellite providers had no fees for extra receivers on an account, and the fees they instituted last year are one fee for all additional receivers, which is waived or reduced if you subscribe to a premuim package.

They buy those boxes in large volumes,and the monthly rental fees pay for them quickly.'Authorizing' a box is simple;type it's code number into the terminal software program and it's done.It's done the same way Direct TV boxes are done,through the cable signal.Look at how the Direct TV systems are virtually given away with a subscription for an example of low cost. This is from cable industry magazines I subscribed to when working for Tektronix.
--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
remove null to contact me

You have a analog cable and you believe it's CRYSTAL clear. What size is your TV and what's your eye sight?
Regards
60 inch big screen Hitachi