saplings in privet hedge

I have a very lush privet hedge running along the front of my front yard along the public sidewalk. Last couple of years I've had multiple saplings grow up in the middle of the hedge. I'v cut off these saplings near to the ground, but that just encourages thicker growth. Is there something I can paint on the stubs after cutting back to prevent their regrowth without killing the hedge?

Let the stubs start to leaf out a bit then paint the leaves with Roundup. Use a small brush and do not get Roundup on the other plants. You may have to do this several times, but you should be able to kill the offenders off.
This all assumes that simply pulling the saplings out hasn't worked. Some plants just need a bit of root in the ground to take off again.
Charlie
three-eyed freak wrote:

You can cut them down, but, as you've discovered, there's still a lot of biological material below ground.
There's any number of things you can paint the stumps with, but I've found that covering the stump with a coffee can works.
If you dring Folger's decaffeinated that comes in the green plastic container, the can might even be unnoticeable.
three-eyed freak wrote:

I've used roundup to kill small saplings in the same situation. Cut them to the ground and when they sprout a few new leaves, paint or spray carefully with roundup. It may take two or three tries, but killing the leaves will eventually kill the sapling. Much easier than trying to dig them out. Digging down a little bit, and cutting off below ground might also work.
Norminn wrote:

A few drops of 25% Roundup (glyphosate) applied to the stump immediately after cutting will take care of most any woody plant.