Sanitize Used High Chair

Page 1 of 2  
Picked up a used high chair for my grandson at a consignment shop. It looks clean and in good repair-- I've inspected it carefully-- but want to sterilize/sanitize it before putting the lad in it.
Suggestions?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Sharp-Dressed Man wrote:

Will you do this to every restaurant chair you ever put your grandson in?
Have you ever seen a headline that read "Child poisoned by furniture"?
However you would clean it after your grandson uses it would be just fine for cleaning it now.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Rick Brandt wrote:

Basically agree, you don't need clean-room conditions for a little kid, they are usually quite durable. (If they were not, homo sapiens would have gone extinct thousands of years ago.) And a few germs help to keep their immune system exercised. I will say, if it is an antique chair, especially a wood one, check it for lead paint. And make sure any straps or movable parts are not finger pinchers or provide any way kid could slide out held by the neck or anything. Some high chairs were obviously designed by engineers who had never wrangled a squirmy kid. But if it was made within last 20 years or so, and has all the parts, you should be fine.
-- aem sends...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
"Sharp-Dressed Man" <zz> wrote in message

A mixture of 10% Chlorine Bleach (5% active ingredient, not the bargain brand) mixed with 90% water applied with a wet cloth will kill all the germies. You can immerse the all plastic tray in the same solution if you like for 3 minutes. Stainless steel on the plastic parts will not be harmed. Exposed base metals may blacken from the bleach. Just wipe it off.
As for the restaurant comment, all the restaurants I managed or supervised sanitized the darn things once per day or after each use if time permitted. That is some of the scut work that people who aren't in the business never know about.
Colbyt
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 08:27:57 -0400, "Sharp-Dressed Man" <zz> wrote:

If the chair is wood, wipe with mineral spirits. You could use an oil-based soap solution with some alcohol added, but wash and dry it quickly to avoid wood damage and rust. Soapy solution will kill 99% of bacteria. It is not practical to sterilize a chair, although this can be done if you can get a large enough autoclave.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Sharp-Dressed Man wrote:

My highchairs always got cleaned with Dawn dishwashing detergent, same as the dishes. Occasional scraping to remove old mushed banana or spaghetti :o) A little bleach in any household cleaner should do fine. Don't forget, the tike crawls the floor and sticks fingers in his mouth, along with whatever germs were tracked in on adult feet. Has he touched a restroom faucet or door knob? Yuck!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Sharp-Dressed Man wrote:

Heck there were nine of us kids and we all survived without all this namby-pamby sanitizing of everything. Germs were the least of our worries, we were always trying to kill each other. I remember once when baby brother was in his playpen and one sibling exclaimed "Hey, where'd he get the candy bar?!" other brother yelled "That's not a candy bar!" It was a diaper dumpling. Needless to say there was a lot of hysterical cleanup and concern afterwards but baby brother lived.
TDD
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Chuckle. The fact of the matter is that the diaper dumpling came out of the kid. So any germs in it came from the kid. Eating it is gross, but it ain't gonna give him any germs he doesn't already have. -- Doug
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Douglas Johnson wrote:

So that's why he's still alive today for us to tease about his culinary pursuits as an infant.
TDD
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Sharp-Dressed Man wrote:

Think back to the 1940s and 50s. Polio was known as the rich kid's disease because it seemed to be a more prevalent disease of the well-to-do. Those were the kids who lived in super-clean homes and never got to eat dirt.
I don't know how real this explanation was, but it seems plausible. Frequent challenges to one's immune system may actually be beneficial.
Boden
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Oct 25, 7:27am, "Sharp-Dressed Man" <zz> wrote:

Sure bleach, mineral spirits, or the old vodka will all do it.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Sharp-Dressed Man wrote:

Take it to the car wash and steam clean it.
--
Claude Hopper :)

? ?
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
"Sharp-Dressed Man" <zz> wrote in message

My wife puts stuff in the pool. I don't know if it works.
olddog
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
"Sharp-Dressed Man" <zz> wrote in

Toss it in the back of the pickup and run it through the car wash. OK to leave grandson in highchair long as he has seatbelt on. He'll have a blast!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Sharp-Dressed Man wrote:

I dunno about sterilizing it, but we found the easiest way to clean a high chair was to put it in a hot shower.
--
The e-mail address in our reply-to line is reversed in an attempt to
minimize spam. Our true address is of the form snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat 25 Oct 2008 10:08:56p, CJT told us...

A wipe-down with a solution of bleach and water before the hot shower will kill just about anything that might be lurking.
--
Wayne Boatwright
(correct the spelling of "geemail" to reply)
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
a brand new one from china is likely more hazardous than local bugs from america
lead based paint, foreign bugs, hazardous stuff in plastics etc
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Hate to say it, but the kid is probably more dirty than the high chair.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
You don't know how they sanitize the boy.....
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Sharp-Dressed Man wrote:

Hi, Never bought used stuffs for my kids when they were very young. IMO, hot steam cleaner will do good job.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.