Sandstone, water and freezing

The patio of our home is of sandstone pieces. The water from snowmelt and rain, coupled with freezing is causing the layers to delaminate and the pieces to separate from the concrete underlay. I am considering pouring or rolling on a clear epoxy coating to reduce water penetration and the resulting ills caused by freezing. Does anyone have any suggestions beyond ripping it out and starting again with granite or ceramic?
Thanks
Hats
<< I am considering pouring or rolling on a clear epoxy coating to reduce water penetration and the resulting ills caused by freezing. >>
That would probably work but it is likely that the sandstone has more failing laminations deeper down.
<< Does anyone have any suggestions beyond ripping it out and starting again with granite or ceramic? >>
If you liked the sandstone, you may not like some of the granite that is being peddled these days. A lot of it is really ugly, spotted gauche stuff. Ceramic is a possibility considering the huge variety of colors, patterns, sizes, etc. Maybe you could add a weatherproof roof over the patio with better drainage and keep the sandstone a few more years. Good luck.
Joe
Jerry Hatfields writes:

Sandstone absorbs water, like a sponge. A coating may retard this but it will still saturate.
Use stone (e.g., granite) or tile (e.g., porcelain) with zero water absorption.