sanding the drywall compound

I've hung, taped, and mudded some drywall and now I'm on the final sanding, I hope. I have questions about what to look for.

In the old days the edges of the unfinished drywall curved gently inwards. When plastering, you had to build up the indented area. But the drywall I got from Rona (think Home Depot with a Quebec accent) has a sharply recessed edge, forming a shallow flat-bottomed valley for the tape. Does this type of drywall require a different technique?

Anyway, I did the old, slightly angled buildup of compound in three widening layers, and now I have a slight, gradual bulge between the panels, about 14 inches across. I can't see it, but I can feel it when I pass my hand across the joint. Is there supposed to be a very slight bulge? How slight, and over what width (say, 1/16 inch over 14 inches?)

Or for this kind of drywall, should I sand back to the valley? I believe this would leave a narrow vertical band of plaster, flush to the drywall surface, but I don't know that for sure.

-- "For it is only of the new one grows tired. Of the old one never tires."

-- Kierkegaard, _Repetition_

James Owens, Ottawa, Canada

Reply to
James Owens

The seam should not be visible at all when properly muded. One trick that works exceptionally well is to use a trouble light and head against the wall--you'll see where attention is needed. Do this before you apply the PVA drywall sealer/primer.

Reply to
Phisherman

Reply to
Halvey