Sanding Question

i wasnt sure where to ask this question, so if this is the wrong group i apologize in advance.

i have a 4 drawer dresser chest....and it has at least 2 layers of paint on it.

my question is, what is the best way to remove the paint.... would using a random orbital sander be best?

or some type of paint on stripper? if so what kind?

i live in an apartment so i would have to do this outside and dont want to risk killing the grass with some type of stripper. but also i dont want to use a sander if it wont work

thanks in advance everyone

Reply to
SavedOne2000

You know, I just saw an infomercial for an all-natural, odorless paint stripper on TV the other night. Sorry, but that's all I have for you. Stripping will be your best bet in an apartment. This stuff scrapes off like a jell with the paint trapped in it. The sanding will leave a huge mess everywhere.

Reply to
C & M

I would probably try the orange stripper. I think it's called "Citri Strip". Seems to be a little more environmentally friendly. You will probably want to do a couple of applications. There will still be some sanding but not nearly as much. I've seen that stripper at Home Depot and Lowes. Heck, Walmart probably carries it. I'm not sure what your apt. layout looks like but you could even just do this on a porch. Put some newspaper down and have at it. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Damning with faint praise.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

thanks to everyone for your help.....you guys are smarter then my local home depot.... thanks again for the help...it looks like i have a project to keep me busy this weekend

Reply to
SavedOne2000

Reply to
nospambob

The paint stripper you want is called Ready Strip. It has nothing castic in it, no fumes. Goes on green when ready to take off turns white. works great.

You CAN'T find it at Lowes or Hd. Call around to regular paint stores. Not cheap. comes in a 1/2 gallon plastic bucket.

It would work well in your apartment.

Pat

Reply to
Pat

I agree with James. The citrus stuff will do a good job and won't destroy your lawn in small quantities. I have used it indoors and it's not too bad but outdoors is better. After the stripping you will need to lightly sand with an orbital sander. If this is veneer be sure you do not sand too much.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

Sanding is the worst way to remove paint.

Most paint doesn't sand well and it will tend to melt rather than turn to dust so it will gum up the paper very quickly. Also, you will round off all of the edges.

If there is allot of paint I generally use a heat gun first and then a chemical stripper and then sanding just to get the last little bit of crud off.

If you are thinking of staining and varnishing the piece, its probably twice the work.

As for using "safe" or "non-toxic" strippers, I have found that they don't do a very good job(unless they have gotten a hole lot better in the last few years).

If its paint I use a meythalene chloride (sp?) based stripper. For varnish one with out MC but still solvent based gel works well.

The brand I like I think is called stripeze and comes in a metal can with a spray bottle applicator. The spray bottle applies a nice even coat.

I have seen the infomercial strippers I can only think that the paint that they are striping was applied just hours before so of course it going to "just peel off"

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

thanks for the info..i will look fo the stripper you mentioned....would they have it at a hardware store...reason i ask is it would be easir forme to get there then at a paint store....thanks again

Reply to
SavedOne2000

I've used Forbys paint stripper. Most strippers put out bad fumes so you need to work in areas with plenty of ventilation. Lay on the stripper and cover with a Saran wrap. Allow this to work for an hour, then scrap it off into a can. Do one section at a time. You will need rubber gloves, putty knife, coffee can, newspaper, plastic wrap, and plenty of patience. The "Safer strippers" don't work as well as the caustic ones.

Reply to
Phisherman

Reply to
Frank Boettcher