Sanding attachment for drill

I need to do some sanding in tight areas. I don't have a power sander, so I thought of getting an attachment for my power drill, with a circular sanding disk attached to it.
Does this work? I seem to be seeing online that a disk like that would kick, you can't use it flat on the wood. People use drum sanding attachments to drills but it seems if you have a disk attachment you can only use the edge of the disk?
I tried a wire brush attachment to my drill and it worked sort of. But it does kick if you use it flat.
I suspect my cordless drill would run out of power really quickly if used this way?
Laura
Add pictures here
✖
On 02/09/11 12:08 pm, Graven Water wrote:

It's a long time since I've used a sanding disc, but I do recall that you can use only the edge of the disc, or else it *will* kick. The disc (or more correctly, the part to which the disc attached) is not flat anyway, so there wouldn't be any advantage in trying to use the whole disc.
Perce
Add pictures here
✖

*Save your money Laura. You won't be able hold the drill and make maximum contact with the surface that you wish to sand. Buy a cheap orbital sander or for tight corners buy a cheap Harbor Freight multi-function tool with the sanding block.
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 9, 11:08 am, snipped-for-privacy@grex.org (Graven Water) wrote:

Go down to your tool rental store and try out some of the various sanding tools they have. Once you know what really works for you, consider buying a similar version from a handy source, local, online, whatever. That should help avoid a budget mistake.
Joe
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 9, 11:08 am, snipped-for-privacy@grex.org (Graven Water) wrote:

That's right.
Joe
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 9, 12:08 pm, snipped-for-privacy@grex.org (Graven Water) wrote:

Is that anything like a cola kick?
Anyway, no, you can't use a rotary disk sander flat. You can only use the edge.
A rotary disk sander is for sanding/shaping edges and contours, not for stripping paint off a table, or sanding a surface flat. It will remove a lot of material in a short time, but it will leave swirl marks and gouges if you aren't skilled with the tool.
Do yourself a favor and get a random orbit sander. $20-$30 plus pads.
Add pictures here
✖
Graven Water wrote:

How tight and how much sanding? I often wrap sand paper around an appropriately sized piece of wood. The little sanding sponges work too. ___________

Yes. Keep in mind that being round, you can't sand into corners. _________
>I seem to be seeing online that a disk like that

Depends. If the attachment is a circle of thin, hard rubber you cannot use it flat; if it is thick foam, you can. I used to use the latter to smooth up the hull on my boat before repainting...an 8" soft pad makes short work of it.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Feb 9, 12:08 pm, snipped-for-privacy@grex.org (Graven Water) wrote:

re: "I need to do some sanding in tight areas."
Please define "tight areas".
There are so many sanding options available, from hand sanding to multifunction tools to Dremels to sand-blasting, that its kind of hard to make a recommendation without knowing what/where you will be sanding.
What you are sanding might be just as important as where you are sanding.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@grex.org (Graven Water) wrote in

Harbor Freight sells kits for drills with two discs and abrasive pads of varying grit. You don't use a disc completely flat,you angle it slightly to use the outer rim. Discs don't get into "tight" places very well.
you also can buy a $30 clone of the Fein Multimaster which is great for getting in tight places for sanding or scraping.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Add pictures here