Sanding a Gyprock Ceiling

Hello,

I'm installing a new gyprock ceiling that I'm in the process of sanding down. I plan to paint it white when it's ready, but first to sand it down. My arms are about to fall off. What's the best way to sand this ceiling with the least amount of effort? How about a portable sander? What about one of those long pole sanders that look like a "swiffer"...with sandpaper on the end. I'm willing to spend $ on this now and save my arms. I just want to make sure that the solution does a good job as well.

Thanks

Reply to
samadams_2006

I like the long-handled Swiffer-style. If you're doing a lot of sanding, maybe you're puting on too much compound.

Reply to
The Streets

I'm with him. Having learned how to do it the hard hard way it really doesn't take that much joint compound. As for the pole sanders - they work very well, but be prepared to wear a good tight fitting mask and also be prepared to vacuum and dust every crevice and crack of your room afterwards. That stuff gets EVERYWHERE!

Reply to
Eigenvector

"The Streets" wrote in news:NVxXh.4158 $ snipped-for-privacy@bignews4.bellsouth.net:

...or using the powder mud that mixes with water and hardens like a rock!

Reply to
Al Bundy

My (DIY) hardest lesson was learn and use thin coats of joint compound in layers. Being calm and not in a hurry to finish the job. Then I can sand each lighter coat with the pole and 220 grit; to the desired affect..

-- Oren

Oren

My bride calls me "powder mud" ;-)

-- Oren

Oren

The amount of sanding should be very minimal. You're either using too much mud, or being sloppy (I'm guilty here).

Try using THIN coats of mud and getting them smooth when applied.

I also find a damp sponge can do the job equally well as long as there isn't too much material to remove.

Reply to
Noozer

In the early '70s Walt Disney came to Orlando. Sheet rock was nailed with blue nails and a "sheet rock hatchet". The head of hatchet would dimple the board, so the finisher needed to come back a second day. Usually a two coat process then.

-- Oren

Oren