Sanded cedar deck. Sealer with brush or roller?

Do people here have any strong opinion for brushing on or rolling on sealer (Penofin) onto a just-sanded cedar deck?

Reply to
dean

Both. Roller will do the top, but brush will get between the boards.

Are you done with the sanding? How did it work out?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It looks and feels amazing. Came up from a dirty gray, rough, splintery surface to a great looking smooth brown. Especially nice appearance when its wet.

Thing is, if I brush the gap, then I might as well do the whole thing with the brush, the planks are only 6" wide.

Reply to
dean

on 5/19/2007 7:47 PM dean said the following:

My opinions: Rolling is faster and better on your back whether it's a first coat or second? Rolling puts on a heavier amount of sealer. It's easier to throw away a roller than clean a more expensive brush?

Reply to
willshak

Slop the stain on there with a roller. Then use a brush to even out and fill in the cracks and such.

Reply to
Lawrence

How about a paint sprayer? Trouble is, with them you have to mask everything within 50 feet. The overspray goes everywhere. But -because- the spray goes everywhere, it gets into places that a brush may have a hard time getting to.

Reply to
Bob M.

I've used a 1 qt cheap airless sprayer to put the paint down, then overbrush it to get goot penetration. It goes really fast this way.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

I prefer a large thick brush, natural bristle wooden handle. A roller is faster on large flat surfaces, but you'll need a brush for hard to reach areas.

Reply to
Phisherman