sanded caulk in shower failing

About 4 months ago I built a fully tiled shower stall. The tile was from Home Depot so for convenience we got the grout there too. It's the Custom Building Products brand which also has the color matching sanded caulk to look like grout in the edge seams. I caulked all major surface joints - the walls and around the floor. Now the caulk around the floor is slowly coming off as if it never fully cured. It crumbles easily and feels like a dry paste, rather than the solid rubber you'd expect, though it's hard to tell if the moisture in it is from the caulk or just shower water. Has anyone with tile experience run into this? Any suggestion for a remedy? I'd gladly go with a non-sanded caulk with a reasonable color match if you can recommend better brand/product. Thanks!
siralfred wrote:

Not sure as I've never had that particular problem with the sanded caulking, but did you caulk *after* you grouted and thoroughly cleaned the joints to be caulked? That's the correct way.
Also, what size are the joints? Also, the caulking may have been old stock, or you didn't allow proper curing time.
I would certainly bitch at HD about it.

Sanded grout/caulk in a shower????? Non-sanded is what is used in a shower and joints less than a 1/4 inch. I typically use 1/8 joints.
Sanded grout is used for floors not showers.
SQLit wrote:

Nonsense. Spaced joints requiring sanded grout is used commonly in showers and tubs worldwide.
Unsanded grout is used for joints smaller than 1/8". However it also common to use sanded grout for 1/8" joints.
On the packaging sanded grout is recommended for any joint over 1/8" and mine are 3/16" to 1/4". The reason I used sanded caulk was merely cosmetic - which I guess is the only reason to ever use it. I do a fair amount of paintingand have used many different kinds of caulk. In my experience it never cures as fast as the manufacturer says it will, even under perfect conditions (temp, humidity etc). In this case the shower wasn't used for at least a week after I caulked. The only other work was the silicone treatment of the grout which was done about 24 hrs after caulking. I guess if that somehow sealed up the caulk it could affect its "drying".
siralfred wrote:

You used the proper grout. Dig the old caulk out and reapply.
siralfred wrote:

What is crumbling.....caulk or grout? Sanded grout, if that is what is crumbling, is generally recommended for joints larger that 1/16 or more. I think the principle being the space is so small that too much of it is occupied by sand and the mortar thus has no strength.
Norminn wrote:

Learn to read.
tileguytodd had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/sanded-caulk-in-shower-failing-18852-.htm : Sanded Caulk Failure rates are Very high. They do not handle joint movement very well as their elasticity is effected by the addition of sand. Professionally we have stopped using matching sanded caulks due to call back rates to recaulk all changes of plane on new construction projects. Sanded caulk rarely lasts 2 years. We have gone to 100% Silicone caulk and while perfect matches are not possible, Small caulk joints are not obtrusive and the silicone will last many years before requiring maintenance.....Sanded caulk is a FAILED product IMHO and I have over 20 years in the field losing money nearly every time ive used it.....If a customer specifically wants the product, I have a disclaimer regarding the product..... Mapei, Tec, Colorfast...they are all Poor, some are worse than others but ALL fail where even a small amount of elasticity is needed........
~T~ Tilewerks Warba,MN
siralfred wrote:

replying to tileguytodd, Beldar wrote: YES YOU ARE CORRECT...FAKE PRODUCT. Sanded caulk will fail, especially in wet locations. We are talking caulk not grout.
On 31 Jul 2016, Beldar
alt.home.repair:

Who's "we"? You got a turd in your pocket?