Sandblasting door frame?

The paint on my external doors frames are cracked and flaking off. I dread the tedious task having to sand them off, even with a orbital, belt or detail sander. What do you guys think about my idea of using a spot sand blasting unit to take out the paint. This is a pistol grip sandblaster kit that has a rubber collar to localize the sandblast area and to collect the used grit. The kit is advertised for automotive bodywork.

Reply to
KLM

For wood forget it, it will eat into the wood unevenly and ruin it. use chemical strippers

Reply to
m Ransley

If the door frame is metal, it might work, but I'll bet you will find it takes a lot longer than you think. It takes a lot of air to do much sand blasting. Working on my brick home to remove the paint remaining after chemical removal, I found that I had to rent a commercial trailer mounted gasoline compressor to make any headway at all. It would have taken years with my mid size consumer electric compressor.

If it is wood you are likely to damage the wood and if metal, you may damage that, but less likely.

How easy it is to remove using sand blasting depends a lot of the paint itself. Many paint form a rubbery film that is rather resistant to sand blasting.

Rather than using any form of mechanical sanding, I suggest considering chemical removal.

You may want to consider that if you have some old paint on that door, it may be lead based and mechanical removal would create a danger.

The real problem with your question is the fact that different jobs call for different solutions depending on the specific conditions and paint.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The abrasive that is used to day is not sand. Locally it is illegal to use sand. I have a kettle kind of blaster and I use #10 glass beads. Bought for cleaning pool tile. It pressurizes the beads as well as the air stream. Need at least 80 psi with a LOT of volume. As others have said if you door is wood use chemical treatments not a bead blaster. I bought one of the portable kits and threw it in the garbage in less than

10 minutes. Just no pressure to do any work at all.
Reply to
SQLit