Sandbags To Soak-up Runoff

I read web sites that hinted that sandbags cannot be used repeatedly? Is this true? Can't they be simply allowed to dry out and reused. Diane
thats why there are so many beaches in the world. its where they put the 'used up' sand <g>
randy

Yup--so the water can un-soak from it.........
--

SVL

PrecisionMachinisT wrote:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone *really* now what they do with them? I have never seen a real sandbag in person, but what I have seen in newsreels, etc., they used to be made of canvas, and now seem to be made of a fibreglass weave, which would mean that they might be reusable, since canvas is a natural product and will deteriorate, and fibreglass is not.

Dump 'em out, and save tha bag 'till next time. I still see alot of canvas ones yet. As long as they are dryed out and stored dry they will lsat for years. Greg
Greg O wrote:

So, if they are not damaged, you dump out the sand and save the bag? I guess that would save storage space. I'll take your word for it, since you obviously have had dealings with sandbags.

I live in a city that sees serious flooding every 5-10 years. You get to see alot of sand bags around here! Greg

I filled about a million of 'em in Des Moines in '93. Don't want to see one again.
: I read web sites that hinted that sandbags cannot be used repeatedly? : Is this true? Can't they be simply allowed to dry out and reused. : Diane
As others have mentioned, yes you can 'save' sandbags. The sack (plastic/canvas) will dry out faster when empty. Full, I doubt if a bag would 'ever' dryout if full... Unless you live in a desert clime... And then of course you have plenty of sand for refilling . ;-)
The purpose of a sandbag is not to 'soak up' water, but to divert/contain it.
Rick - who lives were used up sand bags go to retire.
--
Computer recommends - Hard drinking calypso poet

Diane, are you blonde?
snipped-for-privacy@home.net (Jack) wrote in message

I suppose you could reuse them, dry them out if possible or leave them where they were until they fall apart. Where areas have been flooded they dispose of them because of contamination with chemicals, mold, feces, etc.