sand filter sizing for inground pool ?

I am in need of a new filter. The cartridge filter I currently have for my inground pool is at it's end of it's life. The casing is also showing wear, on the bottom there are 3 holes that leak water between the high-pressure and low-pressure side of the cartridges. On top of that, I hate opening up the thing to clean the cartridges. When my house was build and there wasn't much vegetation around, it wasn't needed very often, but now I DO need to clean it more often since there's more trees and shrubs losing leaves that go in the pool.

so, I was thinking about a sandfilter. my specs are;

17000 gallon inground pool, 90 feet perimeter, 1.5 hp motor, 2 inch piping.

someone suggested the TA-60 from pentair. it is supposed to have a 60 gpm flowrate and cycles 28,800 gallons in 8 hours. Next step up is the TA-100 which cycles 48000 gallons in 8 hours. What is the best choice ? Is the TA-60 big enough ? This is in Arizona, mid-summer the temperature of the water can go as high 95 degrees. I'm pretty good with keeping the chemicals balanced. Never had algea, always clear water. replace it every other year since you never really get rid of any water and the TDS build up. The pool isn't used much.

At some point I would also like to install a salt system to chlorinate the pool. Any advise is appreciated.

thanks

Rein

A smaller filter will need to be backwashed more frequently.

The rate at which the water volume is cycled through the system is primarily dependant upon the pump flow rate vs total gallons in the pool--a slower rate pump in GPM will need to be operated for longer periods of time than a larger unit ( other things being equal ) to maintain the same water clarity.

There will be a certain pressure and flow reduction through the filter, pressure at the filter inlet will increase and total flow will decrease as it becomes clogged--this is how you tell when the filter should be backflushed to clean.

As a point of reference, ours is a ~45,000 gal pool with a 1.5 hp, and we filter it constantly during the season.

The sand filter is about 30 inches in dia, and around 40 inches tall--If I stay on top of the chlorination regime and dont let any algae form, it requires backflushing about every 2 or 3 weeks....I would think you should get along fine with a pool your size by using a filter having roughly 1/2 capacity in sand volume as mine.

Sorry, I cant recommend any particular brand or size.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Have you considered an earth filter? You don't need to run them as long, and they filter out particles much smaller than any sand or cartridge filter can.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here