Sand Filter (Pool)

I hope someone here can help me. When "winterizing" a sand filter, should the handle be left in the "backwash" or "winterize" position? I would have thought "winterize" was the obvious answer but my pool guy left it on backwash. Also, should the pressure guage be taken off? Thanks in advance!

1. Where there is any risk of freezing, remove the drain plug from the bottom of the filter to empty it (and leave it off all winter.) The position of the control handle is irrelevant. 2. Yes, pressure gauges last longer if removed in winter.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
PJ wrote:

handle half way between filter and waste for winter. Remove the guage and put it where it won't freeze.

The above and draining the filter (loose plug)
On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 17:12:56 GMT, "PJ"

etc,....always open the bottom drain and store the "cap" with the pressure guage in the garage over the winter...
BUT Guages are cheap ..so I .never worried about trying to protect one...
Bob G..