sand/clay from my yard - useful?

Hi again,
yesterday I started a project I'd been putting off for a while. To explain, I guess I need to give some background - we bought this house about a year and a half ago. The previous owners were very ecologically minded and the entire yard is covered with inches of dark, rich decomposed mulch- great stuff. About 20 years' worth, to be exact, and the previous owners also planted some really great plants and flowers. However, they apparently did not understand the concept of proper grading - all around the house the grade level sloped in toward the house. I graded the side yard last year when we had an A/C unit installed, but the front still wasn't done. Yesterday I decided to start on the south side of the front yard, because it was all infested with chickweed anyway. I just shaved off the first inch or so and tossed it on the compost pile and then started grading. I got down another inch or two and hit the *original* "soil" which appears to be a sand/clay mix. So what I ended up doing was moving the topsoil out of the way, digging up some of the sand/clay and removing it, and then putting the topsoil back, mixing it with a little of the sand/clay to give it a little body. i figure that will make even better soil for planting.
Question is, what do I do with the excess sand/clay that I removed? I do have plans at some vague point in the future to put in some flagstone walkways, can I just save this stuff for that? If the answer is "maybe," how do I evaluate it to see whether it's suitable or not? If it's not, how the hell do I get rid of it? I've had a hard enough time getting rid of the "good stuff" where I've wanted to do so, I assume I'd have to pay someone to haul off simple fill, but I don't know where to start.
thanks,
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

You probably don't have enough material for a "Free clean fill" sign to work, but calling a few local landscapers might find one that needs a small amount of fill for a project they're working on who would be willing to pick it up.

There are always people looking for clean fill. I often see signs in yards "clean fill wanted" You just have a logistics problem to get it from your place to theirs. Try putting an ad in a local free shopper paper and you may get some takers.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

You'd think, but no. Even the topsoil, which I've been giving away, has been a hassle with all but a few people. I'd put an ad on Craigslist and people would want me to load and deliver 50 miles away. All I want is someone to show up, help me shovel it into my truck (that way they can see what they're getting and I won't be completely worn out,) and then I'll drive it to their house, but apparently that's too much work for some people...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
wrote in message

Where are you?
Tomes wrote:

falls church, VA - about 10 miles from DC
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
"Nate Nagel" ...

bummer - too far...worth a shot tho Tomes in NJ
wrote in message

Been there, done that. I grew a surplus amount of vegetables, offered them free to friends, particularly those with low income, pick the fruit or pull the vegetable and it is yours, free.
That was too much trouble or work, they wanted me up pick, wash and deliver. No way, I'll let it rot, and they can pay store prices.
EXT wrote:

Chuckle. Some folks at my office, evidently now retired, used to sneak in early and leave bags of veggies on people's desks. Some were good, some not so much, but I appreciated the thought. Once in a blue moon, now, there will be a bag of veggies left in the break room.
-- aem sends...
Try http://www.freecycle.org/ ; the rules there are you offer it free and the taker picks it up.
    Una
On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 19:04:46 -0400, "EXT"

My friend tells me the story of his grandfather. Up at dawn, they have breakfast. Out in the garden/farm; my friend just wants to play and do no work!
At lunch, he gets a glass of sweet iced tea. His pappy told him, if you don't grow it you don't eat!
He is one on the hardest workers I know today :)
wrote in message

gee, what do they want for free! How about a co-op in town? They aren't scared of a little dirt.