sand between stone pavers

Hey everyone. I swear I saw on here before a message about what kind of sand works best between stone pavers to prevent washout when it rains hard. After searching, I came up empty. Anyone remember seeing the post, if not, anyone know what kind of sand works best? Thanks. Eric

-------------- You can use fine sandbox sand, or if you can get it, rock dust, which is the best material.
Abe wrote:

Yes Abe is right on. We have a paver driveway, stone dust is the best. 15 years no problems.
I had somone recomend mixing 25% portland cement into the sand and sweeping that in. I didn't do it. Could be a good idea or could be bad. I would suspect too much cement would keep things from draining in my mind. Whatever. I just used the sand recomended and supplied by my supplier. Never have had a problem.

Visit your local paver distributor. They should have a product that is similar to playground sand but a bit coarser. When it gets wet the first time, it releases a binder agent that causes it to set up. Not anywhere close to concrete, just enough to lock in the pavers. I'd believe it's called "polymeric" paver sand. I've personally used this stuff and it works. It's a bit pricey but ..what the hell.
Playground (or sandbox) sand is too fine and may disperse over time.
You can thank me later. .

hard.
not,
On Fri, 13 May 2005 09:20:20 -0400, "Craven Morehead"

the fineness is what makes me believe it is great for compacting and locking the blocks in. Is the 'paver sand' better?
thx,
tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com