San Yang Pai Range Hood Fuse Size?

The fuse on my CY-760A burnt and I lost it on the way to the hardware store. I have called every distributor in California and no one can tell me what size fuse I need. One guy did tell me that they are all the same.
Does anyone know? Thanks so much!

Call customer service at the number listed on their web site. Good luck.
Joe

Yeah, I tried that. I was unsuccessful.
Emily Conroy wrote:

Hi, Can read off anything from the motor name plate? That'll give a clue.

Model: CY-760A Super Performance Wall-Mounted Style Size: 30" Exhaust Volume: 680 C.F.M. Color: White Rotation: Twin Motor Voltage: 120V/60Hz Diameter of Exhausting Duct: 6"
These are the specs provided. The motor name plate is mounted in the back of the unit, inaccessible while mounted, unfortunately. The local rep said all the fuses are the same so I was hoping I could find someone out there with a San Yang Pai Range Hood of any model that either has the book or can pull out their fuse and see if the size can be determined from it (which would probably be a safer bet since their documentation seems to be sorely lacking.)
Thanks much!
On 1/27/2009 9:26 PM Emily Conroy spake thus:

If you absolutely cannot get the fuse rating, try this: get a fuse that'll physically fit in the holder. Start with a 1-amp fuse; that will definitely be safe for the motor, judging from the specs you posted (680 cfm is a pretty respectable airflow). If the fuse blows when you turn the fan on "high" (let it run at least 10 minutes or so), then go to the next higher rating until it doesn't blow.
If you're up past 3 amps or so and the fuse still blows, then I'd suspect a problem with the hood; in that case, STOP: don't try a bigger fuse, but find out what's wrong in there. There must have been some reason the original fuse blew.
Kind of a pain in the ass, I know, but if you can't get the specified rating, you've got to do a little experimentation.
mostly pears.
On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 17:48:57 -0800 (PST), Emily Conroy

The range should have an electrical diagram, sometimes on the back of a panel. You can also contact the manufacturer.
On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 17:48:57 -0800 (PST), Emily Conroy

I keep all my appliance manuals in one place in case I need to look something up. When I bought my (new contruction) home the builder gave me all the manuals to the appliances, which I now appreciate.

Yes - I do that, too. My manual was in the cabinet above the hood. I hadn't referred to it in years and somehow the paper had gone waxy and melted together. When I called the manufacturer she said the same thing happened to the copy she had in the office. I spent more than an hour trying to steam the pages apart but the only ones on which I was successful didn't have any helpful information.
Calling San Yang Pai for information is not as easy as one would expect. The owners of www.sanyangpai.com are actually just distributors and not the company itself. They referred me to an applicance repair guy in San Francisco, near to where I live. That person never answered the phone so I called the San Gabriel office again. Communication was very difficult - I got transferred 4 times just to find someone that spoke English well enough to broadly understand my question. She finally gave me a number that she said would be on a fuse. I knew it couldn't possibly be right, but I also knew I wasn't going to get any further with my questions (they also ignored my two email requests for a PDF version of the instructions). I got the only fuse that could be even closely related to the numbers she read off (ended in 250) and it popped instantly.
To anyone considering putting one of these hoods in their house they should know up-front that they will be dealing with a distributor and not the company; and that their schematics are crap. I will say that it does perform very well otherwise and it's easy to keep clean even thought it is way more hood than I need!
After hours and hours looking online I assumed the best I would do would be to hope someone could pull a fuse out of their hood and tell me what it is. Thankfully I got an alternative route from David Nebenzahl! Yes, I will try that tonight! THANKS!!
But... if anyone does already have one of these hoods and can pull the fuse I'd really be grateful not to have to play "guess the fuse" later! :-D
Hi,
I have the same model as yours. The fuse is: 5A250V
Good luck!
Joanna

Emily Conroy wrote:

It's seldom that fuses just "blow by themselves".
If the failed fuse was a glass cartridge fuse did it look like the fuse link had just melted or broken or was it blown all over the inside of the glass in a darkish film?
If the latter, it may be that something in the unit has short circuited and you'll need more than just a fuse to get it going again.
I'll go along with the lines of a previous suggestion that you put a 3 amp fuse in and see what happens when you run the blower(s) and lights.
If that fuse blows immediately, you need to find out why.
Good Luck,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Emily Conroy wrote:

I have a similar hood made by Pacific, Taiwan I think. It's a dual fan unit with 40 watt light. It can hold a porcelain dinner plate put up over a fan intake.... A label shows a rating of 120V 2.4A so that may give you an idea of about what yours would be. Mine has a schematic label as well. It seems to have a thermal protection device of some sort instead of a fuse. There should be labels on your unit somewhere, maybe on the inside. You might try using an amp meter across the fuse terminals.
Kevin
On Tuesday, 27 January 2009 20:48:57 UTC-5, Emily Conroy wrote:

I have the same fan, San Yang Pai CY-760A. The fuse is a F5A250v fast blow 5A 250v 20mm fuse. Replacement is 10 for ~$2.50
replying to dontai.canada , dontai.canada wrote:

5A 250v 20mm fuse. Replacement is 10 for ~$2.50
Change recommendation to T5A250v slow blow 5A 250v 20mm fuse (time delay). Replacement is 10 for ~$4.50. One of my fans started blowing the fast blow fuses too quickly on startup. It has only slightly more resistance than he other. Both are clean. Note that to check the fan motors you can disassemble from below and need not remove the range hood. The motors have no vent holes on the top.
check current draw with unit running, then upsize fuse 30 percent to allow for start up motor current surge