SAMSUNG SUCKS

Like the "wolfare cadillacs" on the American south - Tarpaper shack with a brand new Caddy in the driveway and a 40" or larger TV in the front window.
On 1/30/2016 9:31 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Some call them money pit but if one

Not just a question of affording. How much time do you want to spend at the dealer's waiting room or riding in the tow truck.
In my 54 years of driving I've had 3 tows. Two Oldsmobile, one BMW 3 series. Most expensive trips to the dealer was a Mercedes 300D. Fortunately that was all covered by company expense account.
On 01/30/2016 09:22 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

In a way I've been lucky. The only times I've had a car towed it was totalled. That's not to say there weren't some roadside repairs or limping home but I always made it. Even the last total got me home, shedding a few pieces and parts along the way.
On 01/30/2016 06:59 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Admittedly it was back in the 100 LS days, but I never had the desire to buy another Audi. When we divorced my wife got the Audi and I wasn't sad to see it go. She eventually traded it for a Rabbit (Golf). The first generation Rabbits were no beauties but by the VW had figured out how FWD worked.
rbowman wrote:

Still most Audi is front wheel biased, BMW is opposite. My new 2016 Acura MDX now can split power between front and rear 50-50 somewhat acts like RWD car with improved lighter faster acting SH-AWD. With 9 speed tranny MPG improved by almost 30%. Finally Acura's new plant in Alabama got their act together regarding build quality.
On 01/30/2016 09:07 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I don't have a problem with FWD but Audi's execution in the early days had issues. Or I should say, I don't have a problem anymore. The Audi was my first FWD vehicle and it was a learning experience. I was used to throttle steering.

And it had a lot of problems that were not FWD specific too.
On 01/31/2016 01:13 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yes it did. I was driving to Trois-Rivieres on a rainy day. The rain stopped but when I turned off the wipers, they didn't. Fortunately it was a business day so when I got to the next town I could call the dealership to find out which relay to pull.
Then there were the plug wires that failed without warning about every 15,000 miles. I carried a spare set.
It wasn't the car's fault but after the oil embargo and the 55 mph national speed limit, which was enforced in the early days, I found it was not geared for 55 mph cruising and was happier at 75 in 4th.
Again, not really the car's fault but I didn't find the deeply sculpted seats comfortable. I had actually went in to buy a Porsche 914 only to find they didn't make it in my size. That's a line I stole from a car salesman years later. I bought a Firebird from him and when I went in to kick the tires on the new Fiero he yelled across the showroom floor 'They don't make that in your size'. He was right and I stuck with the Firebird. I'd already switched to GM when Ford stopped making Mustangs in my size. It only took them a few decades to make a real Mustang again.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I remember also early Audi had sudden acceleration issues. Main difference in FWD vs. RWD is steering. Under steering vs. Over steering. Also FWD vehicle has nothing much at the back regarding drive train.
On 01/31/2016 02:49 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

The only acceleration issue I had was lack of.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/audi-100ls-archived-instrumented-test
It would do 0-60 in about 12 seconds, which means it would probably be looking at a Prius' taillights. Like the article said, dropping a gear to pass meant you ran out of revs and when you dropped it into 4th forward progress died. It kept life interesting.
I got used to the FWD without killing myself. Years later when I heard about the drifting fad my question was how do you drift a FWD. Then I found out it was by carefully selecting one of the few Japanese RWD models, chopping a AWD, or for the most extreme rework the running gear to make it RWD.
Thumbing through HotRod at the library yesterday, I saw one person was running 10 second quarters with a FWD. The rest of the featured cars were RWD but at least it can be done.

Long before the "unintended accelleration " fiasco they had springs that detonated on their own, destroying the tires. You could sit and watch them rust.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Latest of rusting issue was TPMS valve stem made of steel. Now they are all Aluminum.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca writes:

Same here. BMW's may have good drivetrains, but the fall apart way too easily. My friends daughter would break the passenger side window on his bondmobile (750IL) every time she'd shut the door. All the plastic trim inside fell off or broke. Unacceptable for an 80,000 dollar car.
Like Lexus, the everyone I know with an Infiniti just gets another won after a decade or so of problem-free ownership.
On Saturday, January 30, 2016 at 6:28:33 PM UTC-6, Tony Hwang wrote:

I still have a '95 SL2 Saturn. It has never stranded me (except when I left the lights on!). Failed parts: water pump, alternator, EGR, coolant sensor ...not a bulb (save one on the dash) has blown. Cost of parts (Auto Zone), about $300. They *can* make a reliable car...too bad this one didn't contin ue in the same way. Most folks won't like this car...it is still unique.
On 1/27/2016 11:00 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

8<

We purchased a Samsung W/D on the advice of a friend. Just two of us in the household so it's not like either sees lots of use/abuse.
Washer lasted ~16 months before the door latch "mechanism" (electromechanical) failed -- poor design (flimsy plastic parts in the highest "abuse" point of the machine).
Expecting to do the repair myself (out of warranty), the Samsung site couldn't provide me with definitive information as to which replacement part to use: I could opt for the part with exactly the same P/N (and exactly the same crappy design) or *wonder* if the alternative part was compatible and an *improvement* over the "old" design.
Contacting Samsung directly gave me no additional insight -- they just read the information from the web site to me! (lots of confidence in that sort of reply -- NOT!)
After escalating the issue (keep in mind, I'm just trying to get an answer to "which replacement part should I purchase"), they sent a guy out to do the repair as a freebie. Technician claimed there were at least *7* versions (revisions) of our washer (!!).
Great! Though I'd much rather he had shown up with a "new and improved" replacement part so I wouldn't be counting the months to the replacement part's (similar?) failure!
I recounted this experience to friend who had recommended the W/D to us: "Oh, we've already REPLACED *both* the washer and dryer!" Doing some research on the dryer turned up a common "drum failure" mode. Wunnerful! That won't be anything *I* can fix (easily).
Yum, yum! :<
One of the places with which I'm affiliated recycles/refurbishes electronic kit (literally millions of pounds annually). By far, most (defective) LCD monitors they see are Samsung branded. Almost always bad capacitors or FETs in the backlight drive (inverter).
Of course, its possible that they have the *lowest* failure rate of all LCD monitors and the high percentage we see is a consequence of them being more popular (???) in the market. Or, more popular among the folks who donate this (defective) equipment.
Or, it could be that they are just a crappier product.
I've been tracking LCD TV donations/repairs in an attempt to get a handle on that "quality" as well... (our plasma is 13 years old, now -- probably time to "upgrade" :> )
On Thu, 04 Feb 2016 01:09:26 -0700, Don Y

Don't get rid of that plasma until it fails - particularly if a Panasonic. They will generally outlast an LED 2 or 3 to 1.
As for the number of LGs in the recycle heap, they are likely by a pretty large margin the largest seller - and they DO make more than one model and quality of just about everything they make.
Like my Dad used to say:
If you want first quality oats you need to be willing to pay first quality price. If you are willing to settle for oats that have already gone through the horse, THEY DO come a little cheaper - - -
On 2/4/2016 2:33 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

We don't watch much TV. OTOH, the plasma uses a *lot* of electricity! (~300W) And, it's an eyesore (big "window" in the middle of the living room).
[I'd much prefer a motorized projection screen that I can recess into the ceiling when not in use.]
I'm moving to a "media server" approach for audio/video sources (so, "monitors" instead of "televisions"; "speakers" instead of "stereos"). I see this as more value per investment (i.e., don't have to replace the non-display portions each time you want a "new TV") and more *capable* solution (unlike the crippled smart-TV's that are reminiscent of the performance of early PC's -- coupled with all their spyware).

Most of these are from corporate donors. Typically "nicer" kit but probably less well treated (i.e., employees have little incentive to turn things OFF when they leave at the end of the day/week; power supplies don't like staying "on" even if their loads are "off"))
OTOH, for a bit of my time (and $2-3 of parts), *I* can have an essentially "new" monitor...

On Thursday, February 4, 2016 at 3:56:33 PM UTC-6, Don Y wrote:

Consumers Report gives us this...
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x430/BenDarrenBach/HDTV_zps2yojg92r.jpg
On Thu, 4 Feb 2016 16:45:10 -0800 (PST), bob_villain

And from my experience I'd definitely agree on the top six or so.