Salvage shower head?

Page 1 of 2
My shower head is pretty much stopped up. Likely my hard well water. With the head off I seem to get ample water flow. Can I salvage it or is it not worth the trouble? Maybe some Lime Away or HCL based toilet bowl cleaner? Or maybe they are too cheap to mess with? After I post this I'll have to Google Walmart and see what they cost.
Suggestions?
TIA
On 4/4/2015 9:42 AM, KenK wrote:

On Saturday, April 4, 2015 at 9:47:13 AM UTC-4, FrozenNorth wrote:

if its a spray wand with hose the hose is bad.they look fine on the outside, but the inner hose obstructs and decreases flow slowly over time

No, it's just a rigid head on a rigid water line. I prefer that type.

If it is an older head, I would clean it and put it back on. These 2 gpm new heads are terrible!
--
Mr.E

Mr.E wrote:

And it's VERY easy to drill them out to get a decent spray .
--
Snag

+2
On 4/4/2015 9:47 AM, FrozenNorth wrote:

I've heard of people using a bag of vinegar. Tie it on like an old nose bag for horse. Not sure if this works, but might.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I used an empty bottle to hold the vinegar. Worked fine!

Took a little longer than that but worked perfectly! Thanks much!

Yes. Ended up scraping like hell! Pan survived. I may. <g>
On 4/7/2015 1:25 PM, KenK wrote:

I wonder if a power washer would dislodge the calcium scale?

Not sure what a power washer is. Only thing it reminds me of is car washing? I probably know it under another name. Help?
On 4/9/2015 1:39 PM, KenK wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cleanforce-1400-PSI-1-4-GPM-Aluminum-Axial-Cam-Electric-Pressure-Washer-CF1400/203027472?N=5yc1vZbxdjZ1z0zy83
http://www.harborfreight.com/1650-psi-125-gpm-electric-pressure-washer-69488.html
Mine looks a bit like this. Plug into 110 VAC, and connect a cold water garden hose. Turn the power on, and squeeze the grip in the discharge wand. Adjust for fan spray or stream.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

As others said, vinegar.
As to cost, it depends...you could spend $10 or you could spend $100s. IMO, about the nicest around is the Speakman Anystream. (Amazon.com product link shortened)
--

dadiOH

I've had several Speakman showerheads and they're great. Just recently got one of their 2.5gpm Reaction models (they also make a 2.0gpm model), and it's plenty powerful:
http://www.speakmancompany.com/products/detail/S-4001
If you're not picky about the model, you can get some nice deals from them periodically on heavily-discounted units. They send out email announcements when a sale is on - not sure how to sign up for those as I think I opted in during checkout for a previous purchase.

Lime away does a great job on them.

On 4/4/2015 5:47 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

CLEANER?
- . Christopher A. YOUNG learn MORE about Jesus . www.LDS.org . .
On Sun, 05 Apr 2015 07:43:05 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Hydrochloric acid can badly pit the finish and disolve zinc (pot metal) parts commonly used to make things like shower heads.. It will also strip chrome from brass. Using Hydrochloric acid to remove lime scale from chromed plumbing fixtures is an extremely stupid thing to even consider, much less recommend.