Sagging roof

For years the roof of my house has been wavy, due apparently to the builder using a puny 1/4" plywood decking, but now in one section the roof is definitely sagging.

I don't want to simply prop up the sagging roof against the attic floor, for fear that this will only transfer that sagging force to my garage ceiling.

How do you fix a sagging roof in a case like this? Can I run a 2x6 lengthwise along the underside of the roof and attach it to the rafters?

If I need to call someone to take a look at it, am I better off calling a roofing company or a structural engineer?

Thanks.

Reply to
Brian Anderson

How old is the house, what type of roof and how many layers are on it if its shingle. Call an architect or engineer for help.

Reply to
m Ransley

- Brian Anderson -

- Nehmo - The decking is too thin. Tear off the roofing material and re-deck over the old decking. If the roof isn't ready to be replaced, wait.

- Brian Anderson -

- Nehmo - You mean additional rafters in between to existing rafters? Won't work. The roofing fasteners are protruding below the decking and the rafter has to be flush.

- Brian Anderson -

- Nehmo - A roofer can handle a tear-off and a re-decking. There's no good way to shore up sagging too-thin decking.

Reply to
Nehmo Sergheyev

As Nehmo says, if it is the decking that is sagging wait for a re roof, strip, and re deck (roofer). You could also add cross blocking (bridging) between the rafters to raise the decking, but it would be quite a chore to force the warp back out of the existing decking.

If it is a cut roof and the rafters are sagging , you will need a different solution. The rafters can be beefed up with a purlin and braced appropriately. This could be handled by a good carpenter / contractor. Is there a chance that the attic floor you mentioned is carrying such a load that it is pulling down on the rafters? A structural engineer could be added to the equation if it would make you more comfortable. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Keep the whole world singing. . . . DanG

Reply to
DanG

Brian:

BA> For years the roof of my house has been wavy, due apparently BA> to the builder using a puny 1/4" plywood decking, but now in BA> one section the roof is definitely sagging. BA> BA> I don't want to simply prop up the sagging roof against the BA> attic floor, for fear that this will only transfer that BA> sagging force to my garage ceiling. BA> BA> How do you fix a sagging roof in a case like this? Can I run BA> a 2x6 lengthwise along the underside of the roof and attach it BA> to the rafters? BA> BA> If I need to call someone to take a look at it, am I better BA> off calling a roofing company or a structural engineer?

I would go with a roofing company, making sure they tear off the old ¬" plywood and replace with whatever is appropriate. (What is appropriate??) The complete tear-off is going to cost you a little more but I would think would be more stable and secure. (If the old ¬" stuff is left you have to nail through that thickness, plus may be damaged.)

The thing I would do is have the chief roofer (supervisor) inspect your roof framework for water damage, termite damage, etc., that could be another cause of the sag.

  • Over the hill? I don't recall ever getting to the top!
Reply to
barry martin