Safety tape for steps, not sticking

A couple months ago, I bought a couple rolls of scratchy safety tape at Harbor Freight, on close out. Figured I could use some safety tape for the wooden steps outside my home.
Knew the adhesive was probably less than perfect, so I use a bunch of Arrow T-50 staples in addition. Still, the tape came loose, and now about half of the tape is ripped, flopping around, or missing.
What's the technique for adhering safety tape to weathered wood steps? Some kind of adhesive in addition? Surface prep? Torch down job?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Is the problem that you want the tape to stay in place even when you use the steps, or that it won't stick even if you don't use the steps??? Indoors or outdoors?? Cmon, you know we need more information?
Add pictures here
✖
On 11/26/2011 7:59 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Stormin, I would scrape the loose, flaky junk away and give the grit strip and the step a healthy shot of spray adhesive. Mask the step where you don't want the sticky stuff. Tape on wood is not for the long haul, but this should keep it stuck as long as it lasts. I would not use staples.
I've seen several done with strips of expanded metal. Works great until you need to shovel snow.
--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
✖
On 11/26/2011 7:59 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote: ...

I'd suggest the gritted paint instead. Of course, will need serious prep work.

✖
It's not that big a chore. Get the wood into paintable condition where you want the grit, mask, paint, sprinkle grit (sand, ground walnut shells, whatever), let dry, paint again, remove masking tape.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Tape don't stick to wood, you mooyuk!
Steve
Add pictures here
✖
Steve B wrote:

Tell him, not me.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

You a mooyuk too? Thought I had snipped properly. Apparently not.
Steve
Add pictures here
✖
Steve B wrote:

It isn't a question of snipping, it is a question of replying to the correct post.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Well, I for one am certainly happy that is cleared up.
Steve
Add pictures here
✖

Best sure-footing cover for weathered wood steps is coconut matting held down by battens.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Replacement with bar grating is good, too.
Steve
Add pictures here
✖
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Something to consider: Shoot nails from the opposite side of step so they protrude an inch or so on the side you step. Do this in inch patterns. Would be a fantastic way to keep people from slipping on the stairs.
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 26, 7:59 am, "Stormin Mormon"

Follow these directions: 1) Scape off all the old tape and crap on the step. 2) Sand the step to clean wood. 3) Prime the wood with oil based primer. 4) Paint with 2 coats of outdoor poly Porch and Floor paint. 5) Apply the 3M safety tape you should have used years ago. 6) Continue skipping blithely down the steps even in bad weather in perfect confidence.
There now, wasn't that easy? You're welcome.
Joe
Add pictures here
✖
CLOSE OUT ! Buy a crap reject & you want quality ??
Jerry
http://community.webtv.net/Jerryohio-2/LighthouseLamp
Add pictures here
✖