safety of AC adapaters

Page 2 of 2

I have used many of them for year for my electronic projects. I stripped off the plug on the end of the wire and plugged the wire directly into my breadboard. A couple times the wires came out and shorted together which blows the internal diode bridge or the primary winding opens. The primary winding is made of fine wire on these small transformers and acts as a fuse. Never any smoke, fire or oders from a failed one.
Some of the new ones have switch mode power supplies. The secondary is still isolated via a transformer and feedback to the primary switching circuit is through an optoisolator.

Nothing is 100% safe
    The best suggestions I Have heard, both from the standpoint of safety and economy is to plug them into a power strip and turn them off when not using them.
    On the the biggest problems seems to be related to the batteries in many of the new electronic devices. They can be fire hazards even when disconnected from the wall.

These little DC transformers can overheat. Make sure there is adequate ventilation all around them. Replace transformers that have been running 10+ years.
Phisherman wrote:

Why? I have plenty of them that are older than that, they don't really wear out.

I have some wall-warts that are 20+ years old and they still work ok when I pull them out of my junk transformer box for some odd project. But, I treat them reasonbly carefully. The odds on a UL or CSA approved unit giving 120 V (Assuming in the USA or Canada) shock is very unlikely, unless the output wire is caught between the wall outlet and the wall-wart itself.