safety of AC adapaters

Might have been when you were busy posting political nonsense in a home repair group and you over looked it in your haste to to prove yourself a fool about political issues. That's a real possibility.

Reply to
RLM

Check your sources. I have NEVER posted political nonsense. I have only responded to the true believers who have posted that which is provably an absurd fantasy. I don't start contentious conversations; I have no desire to rile up those of lesser patience. But proselytizing about global warming, political machinations, the virtues of colonic irrigation, or the health benefits of beets, will be challenged.

I agree with what I take to be your position - that home repair should remain unsullied by extraneous ramblings. I also believe, however, that gratuitous dogma should be met with objective facts wherever it raises its ugly head.

Reply to
HeyBub

"HeyBub" wrote in news:EYidndiJivr0H9vUnZ2dnUVZ_t snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Don't use an adapter. You'll be electrocuted each time you use one.

Reply to
TD

You knew what the answer was going to be, yet still asked anyway. You didn't say you were looking for clarification/verification/ etc.. Many people do what I mentioned - but I probably could have phrased it a lot better, I admit, as you also could have. NBD IMO.

Ah, I see.

No, not wrong in this case anyway. This case is governed by the laws of physics, ruled & regs, even legal entities and "voluntary" rules & regs, like UL. As for reality of all, well, that's a subject change I prefer not to get into. I deal in facts and rules, not opinions and suspicions.

Not certainly, but certainly possibly. It could result in anything from no visible change going on to a fire or lots of smoke, but it's not to easy to be certain it would become unsafe. Those are the kinds of things that hopefully Safety Agencies test for when they approve a product as "safe".

You snipped the explanatory part of that; I never said anyting about a second danger making a first danger go away. There is always current flow through anything, whether it be air or the best insulator that exists. It may be imperceptible without very expensive equipment and a lot of theory, but ... that does respond to the text you snipped out.

No, I haven't, and wouldn't even try. I have however, done so, during the design of high-voltage lightning simulators. A lightning strike, for instance, is through the "air", whatever the "air" happens to be at that particular moment in time, and may travel for miles through the air. Again, this was a response to something you brought up and to which I responded, in such a way as to prevent the topic from changing.

Fusible links are seldom visible. Very often they are buried within the winding, because that's where the max temperature is going to build up and begin to melt the lacquer or whatever is used to separate the wires from each other and from other windings (primary to each secondary, etc.). They are also, unfortunately, unrepairable. Once a link goes, the item is shot. BTW, a fusible link may be nothing but a piece of wire of any length within the xfmr. An entire xfmr winding may be composed of only one type of wire, all of it with the characteristics of a fusible link, and all acting as such. Actually, that's fairly common in many xfmrs today; it's no longer that expensive a prospect to use. Fusible wire can even be used in all windings, not just the primary; very often the secondaries will also have the same design if a shot ckt say or other possible point of entry could cause enough heat to create problems. UL/CSA have some very long articles and papers on the subject also if you're interested in research at all.

No, not at all. It's just that, unless I misunderstand you, the polarity of the hot/neutral are not relevant. A circuit is a circuit and the laws of heating and dissipation etc. do not depend on whether the polairty is correct. There is absolutely no difference in anything based on whether the hot/neutral are reversed or not. A circuit is a circuit. The whole thing depends on an expanding/collapsing magnetic field. Either you mis-spoke, or I misunderstand you, or you are really much more ignorant about electrical theory than I have given you credit for. With a piece of wire with a total length of x, the power dissipated by the link within it will be exactly the same.

Do I agree that not all receptacles are protected by a GFCI? Certainly. Should they be? Well, that depends on a few things but in general, yes. I don't see your question any longer so you may have to pose it specifically again.

lol, if you think I was anxious to respond to you in particular, then so be it! I'm not going back to old posts just to pursue the he-said/he-said. Taking your above comment apart: Devices supplied by the wall warts may or may not require fusing. That's something that there just isn't any one size fits all answer for. In addition, a lot of weight is given to warnings and noticed permanelty placed on the products about the dangers of using any power supply but the one sold with/for the device under consideration. It will basically depend on whether, within that device, the maximum difference of potential is 42V or more at any instant in time, meaning the comparison of ac, DC and ac/DC plus each to earth or if it's Class II, to the neutral. In addition, the fusible component may or may not be visibly apparent; it only has to match the fusing/time curves for the relevant safety tests. In essence, the whole thing comes down to 90% what the wall wart is or isn't, and 10% what the accompanying equipment it is meant for. A xfmr can either carry its own safety approvals, or only be a component, whereby the safety approvals are only applicable when used in a certain way with certain things.

lol, who do you think enforces the safety testing, even performs the tests? And guess what: They base it on .. wait for it .. reality! If you meant me, I don't think that's a correct quote, but whether it is or not isn't important. What is important is the troll-bait appearance of the comment; either that or stress that you shouldn't let a post on a newsgroup cause for you. AFter all, almost everyone is human!

Cheers,

Twayne

Reply to
Twayne

LOL! How many times have you been electrocuted? Haven't had my first one yet.

Reply to
Twayne