Safety lites on gar. door opener

My garage door opener doesn't have "safety sensors" or a delay of any kind [it's like 30+ years old] so instead of you evidently thinking I apparently have them, I really can't check.

Reply to
HeyBub

OMG, your entire town is at risk ! ! ! ! Think of the children.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

actually at home resale time it will be flagged by the home inspector, and the homeowner will be required to replace the opener with a modern one....

lots of stuff like this comes up:(

Reply to
hallerb

actually at home resale time it will be flagged by the home inspector, and the homeowner will be required to replace the opener with a modern one....

lots of stuff like this comes up:(

I'd just disconnect the old one and let the new owner do what he wants. It was code when installed.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Just re-checked it. No, it does _not_ have an appreciable delay. My boot must have been passing over the beam. It is installed (professional) very near the floor.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Why not make them serve double duty, or 1.5 duty. What I do is install them at bumper height instead of way down 6" off the ground. Then I can't close the garage door and hit the car's bumper and scratch it if it's not in all the way. I like to only put my cars in just barely enough to clear the door so I maximize the room in front of them.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

And the home inspector will be flogged by me.

Reply to
HeyBub

I am. I want all the children on my block (approximately zero) to have all the opportunities I had as a kid.

That's why I get medicine in non-childproof caps and leave my guns lying about with nary a trigger-guard in the house.

Luckily, the U.S. did not ratify the recent UN treaty on landmines...

Reply to
HeyBub

I recommend the high-tech solution of a hanging tennis ball.

I think you can get the kit, complete with ball, thumb tack, and string, at Best Buy for $9.95.

Reply to
HeyBub

I always hear this suggestion, but who wants tennis balls hanging down in the middle of their garage?

Reply to
Rick Brandt

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

BS...

==

Reply to
dpb

Harry K wrote: ...

I surely hope it's within +/-1/16" of the recommended (6" iirc?) height. Otherwise, undoubtedly it's a hazard.

--

Reply to
dpb

... Even more high tech, there's a parking bumper on the floor in ours. When granddad built the garages, the length was significantly longer than most/all today so have an extra spacers in front now...

--

Reply to
dpb

as the realtor told me when i sold a home everything is negoitable.

the buyer gets what they want or the buyer walks.

or a big discount on purchase price. either way you pay.....

for those who have no kids in neighborhood, a kid can visit a neighbor at any time.

Reply to
hallerb

the buyer gets what they want or the buyer walks.

or a big discount on purchase price. either way you pay.....

for those who have no kids in neighborhood, a kid can visit a neighbor at any time.

Who pays is negotiable too. If the buyer wants the house is he going to walk away because he did not get a $200 concession? Doubt it, but it can go either way. Depends on the people and motivation to buy or sell.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Precisely. As opposed to "required".

The claim is simply another of your typical made up for the occasion scenarios that sets my teeth on edge and fingers a-typing... :(

--

Reply to
dpb

-snip-

I only use the garage for a car in the winter- and I don't spend a lot of time out there when it is cold. But if I'm working there in the winter- or for the summer- I have a hook on the rafter a few feet away that hold the tennis ball above my head.

We do it more for the crap on the sides of the garage than the depth- but it is nice to have the car in the exact same spot always.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

No hazard as it is _exactly 6". I just confirmed it with my calibrated eyeball from 10 ft away :)

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Hmmm...I wonder if one can get a second set. My wife is disabled and I have to park with the car backed in with the trunk in the door to pick her up. Wife has absentmindedly closed the door on the trunk lid.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I'm so relieved...I'll send any lost tykes your way when they wander off and come by here...

--

Reply to
dpb