Safety lites on gar. door opener

Page 4 of 5

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 08:54:13 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Well, Bob the first person was not the "right buyer"! One rule I found in RE is to get the "right buyer".
I bought my present house without ANY inspections - period.
The seller conceded a 25K amount from the list price.

buyers dont grow on trees at the end of summer in pittsburgh. most sales occur spring to end of august. people want to get settled before summer is over.
but hey be a hack maintaing your home, it doesnt hurt me at all.........
I have a business selling stuff, its important to have good looking stuff to sell.
wether its office equiptement or a house. people are fussy about houses its usually the buyers largest lifetime purchase
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I am. I want all the children on my block (approximately zero) to have all the opportunities I had as a kid.
That's why I get medicine in non-childproof caps and leave my guns lying about with nary a trigger-guard in the house.
Luckily, the U.S. did not ratify the recent UN treaty on landmines...
Harry K wrote: ...

Well, I can confirm that assumption isn't true -- the pair on the one I just installed were/are interrupted simply by the manual pull cord rope passing between the beam. I had initially just set the two on the rail supports while finishing the installation/adjustment and the rope traveling w/ the carrier was/is sufficient. It's roughly a 1/2-sec interruption based on door travel speed and rope diameter. No way could wave a foot back and forth and not interrupt it.
dpb wrote: ...

Actually, on reflection it's much shorter time than that -- when first started testing to adjust up/down travel limits, etc., didn't realize the rope was crossing the beam at first as I had thought I had placed them beyond it's travel point so kept thinking it was a binding/force problem preventing closing/causing reversal.
Finally, after deciding couldn't be that, took the rope itself and flung it across the beam and it still caused the unit to reverse. At that speed it couldn't have intersected and occluded the beam for more than a few tenths of a second. I'd conclude from that there's no time delay at all in the standard-duty models anyway.
I've not taken time to figure out what input it expects but I'm wondering if the present-day ones aren't a current loop instead of simple continuity as a jumper alone isn't enough. I presume a properly-sized resistor across the terminals would do the trick to fake the correct input impedance but it is, of course, simpler to just make the circuit...

Hmmm...Now I wonder if when I ws waving my boot it was actually in the beam. I may have been above it. I'll try it again next time I'm out there.
Harry K

Just re-checked it. No, it does _not_ have an appreciable delay. My boot must have been passing over the beam. It is installed (professional) very near the floor.
Harry K
Harry K wrote: ...

I surely hope it's within +/-1/16" of the recommended (6" iirc?) height. Otherwise, undoubtedly it's a hazard.

No hazard as it is _exactly 6". I just confirmed it with my calibrated eyeball from 10 ft away :)
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

I'm so relieved...I'll send any lost tykes your way when they wander off and come by here...
Willie The Wimp wrote:

Can't argue with sound logic that if something hasn't happened in 20 years it will never happen.
I actually disconnected, removed and sold the air bags in the car since I have never been in an accident that required them so I never will...
Willie The Wimp wrote:

It' a crock of bull.
Willie The Wimp wrote:

Given the litigious society we're living in, I'd be concerned about the liability falling on me if that one in a million chance accident happened and crushed a kid's skull.
I wonder if my homeowner's/umbrella policy insurance would refuse to pay if it was proven that I deliberately ignored the manufacturer's instructions regarding those safety lights.
That, plus the guilt I'd have to live with for the rest of my life.
"There is no right way to do the wrong thing" (Thomas Huxley)
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
jeff_wisnia wrote:

This is a good reason to just repair / maintain your old opener to avoid the hassle of the new nany-devices.

the same could be said of keeping your ancient 57 chevy on the road.
did you see the crash test between the 57 bel air and the 20008 mailbu.
the crash test dummy in the bel air died many times over, the 2008 driver would of walked away.
With a doorbell button just a few bucks why mess around defeating the safety systems???
and put yourself at fiancial risk if someone dies?????
    Do you really want to explain why you chose delibertly to not use a required safety device if the rare, but possible accident occures?
    Yea, it has not happend to you in the last 20 years so it won't happen next year......
On Nov 25, 2:02�pm, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

actually statitics prove the longer something hasnt happened the greater bthe risk it will
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

That is _not_ so. Past history is immaterial for future in any process w/ a fixed probability of occurrence. For example, for a fair coin the probability of H is still 1/2 even if there hasn't been a head for the last N tosses (immaterial of N).
On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 13:28:19 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

No. Past events have no effect on the chance of a future event.
On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 19:31:59 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Neither statement is 100% valid.
It depends on all kinds of things. In this instance, consider what happens to the prob. of crushed kid after a "Now, go out and play in the traffic, kids"-type mom moves in next door.
And if that doesn't convince ya, try:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayes%27_theorem
Willie