Safety lites on gar. door opener

Page 3 of 5  


The 'crushed kid', which is most of the reason for the safety lights, is not usually due to your intentional closign of the door but with kids playing and _them_ closign the door.
You can look at it as "nanny state" but it is a safety issue. The so- called 'nuisance' of the door stopping because you interrupted the beam is a straw man. In 20 years of my new door, it has never done that to me and I make no effort to evade the eyes. Hmmm...I wonder if there is a slight delay before it activates, i.e., a momentary disruption not activating it?
Harry K
Harry K
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I tested my door this morning, yes, there _is_ a short delay built in. I can stand there and wave my boot back and forth with no effect. I have to hold it steady for a short time before the door reversal kicks in. Since mine is around 20 years old, I would assume (yes I know) that all modern ones do. There goes your 'nuisance'
Harry K
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Harry K wrote:

Not mine. I never said anything about "nuisance."
You're erecting a straw man argument for someone else entirely.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You are correct. You inserted the "thieves" bit which is about as absurd a reason as 'nuisance'.
As to "not mine". How do you know? Remember you apparently have them installed so you couldn't check it.
Harry K
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Harry K wrote:

My garage door opener doesn't have "safety sensors" or a delay of any kind [it's like 30+ years old] so instead of you evidently thinking I apparently have them, I really can't check.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

OMG, your entire town is at risk ! ! ! ! Think of the children.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

actually at home resale time it will be flagged by the home inspector, and the homeowner will be required to replace the opener with a modern one....
lots of stuff like this comes up:(
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote in message

actually at home resale time it will be flagged by the home inspector, and the homeowner will be required to replace the opener with a modern one....
lots of stuff like this comes up:(
I'd just disconnect the old one and let the new owner do what he wants. It was code when installed.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

This potentially bears on code requirements, part of my original query.
"flagged by the home inspector"? As a code violation? You don't have any references to such, do you?
You're just rattling stuff off for no substantial reason, aren't ya? Eh?? Eh???
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

OK you go sell a home and report back:)
You have NO IDEA the home inspector hassles, yet one MUST get thru the inspection or see the sale evaporate:( Fact is somewhere around here I have TWO home inspection reports done within a month of one another, and hardly matching at all.
90% of buyers want a ready to move in no repairs necessary, so a fixer upper elminates 90% of buyers. makes selling hard. most buyers are instantly turned off
so unless you have sold a home within the last 5 years, go try, and do let us know how things go:)
Your better off doing things right as you go along, than wait till home sale time, when you have to go back and fix all the stuff you patched / worked around earlier
DIY people like the majority who hang out here would look at fixing it up as a fun challenge, vs most buyers who dont want to do anything.
Me and my wife at the time looked at a beautiful pretty cheap home near orlando florida. quiet dead end street fenced in yard, well maintained homes. picture perfect:) I fell in love:)
The problem was the house stank of cat urine, it was a concrete slab home.
no biggie to fix it up, and be rid of the odor, I had done this before selling my moms urine soaked home, and it was hardwood much harder.
my wife wouldnt even consider it............
the idea died of consternation jen wanted a fancy new or near new home with zero work....
jen was a typical home shopper.
to sell my moms house i had to add jackposts under a beam that was nothed 50 years earlier passed inspection and never moved, get the main service reinspected cause the inspectors signature was visible but faded, gert the brand new water heaters main valve replaced, after inspector claimed it leaked, plumber said no leak but it had to be replaced anyway, added 2 dehumidifiers, in mid summer basement humidity was too high, the GFCI on sump pump hassle and a long list of other hassles that really amounted to nothing.
heck before putting it on market it got electrical upgrade, painted complete, new carpeting, new complete kitchen, bath redone new ceramic floor cabinet lights outlets (GFCI) the entire house looked awesome and both buyers home inspectors put me thru hell.........
but hey do slipshod work on your home, it doesnt effect me at all
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

"Slipshod Yo Mama! And Granma, Too!!"
Everything will be wrapped up neat and tidy, with the elec. eyes, wire, etc securely visable in the rafters, so I can do what I need with it over the years, as necessary.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Willie The Wimp wrote: ...

No, it's not a code violation to have an old door opener w/o reversing lights any more than having ungrounded wiring is in existing dwelling. It was compliant at the time of installation. It _possibly_ would get noted on an inspection as an item; it couldn't be a defect, only a condition.
W/ a new opener that has provision for them but not installed your logical choice would be to go ahead and rig 'em up before listing/showing the property.
hallerb is basically just that kind of poster -- he's had every bad experience known to man or has a friend that has had (or is getting to have if not just yet) and any and every possible hangnail is reason for the insurance company to refuse your claim and cancel your insurance and there's no end to it...
It's why I threw in the thing about FPE upthread... :)
--


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

And the home inspector will be flogged by me.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

BS...
=
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

as the realtor told me when i sold a home everything is negoitable.
the buyer gets what they want or the buyer walks.
or a big discount on purchase price. either way you pay.....
for those who have no kids in neighborhood, a kid can visit a neighbor at any time.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
as the realtor told me when i sold a home everything is negoitable.
the buyer gets what they want or the buyer walks.
or a big discount on purchase price. either way you pay.....
for those who have no kids in neighborhood, a kid can visit a neighbor at any time.
**********************************************
Who pays is negotiable too. If the buyer wants the house is he going to walk away because he did not get a $200 concession? Doubt it, but it can go either way. Depends on the people and motivation to buy or sell.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

... Precisely. As opposed to "required".
The claim is simply another of your typical made up for the occasion scenarios that sets my teeth on edge and fingers a-typing... :(
--
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

actually its required you make nice with the buyer.......
I had big hassle selling mine, it was unreal what home inspectors found.
the first buyer walked, saying your home is in terrible shape. one of his inspectors gripes?
no GFCI on the garagew sump outlet.
the nnext buyers inspector flagged it stating this outlet shouldnt be GFCI protected...
had to get middle group to reinspect the main service installed 8 years earlier because the signature had faded.
for those who cheap out on repairs good luck if you try to sell..........
youll be saying gee maybe i should of done some of this as I went along......
rather than a insermountable job at sales time that may require money you dont have........
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

Only up to a point.
Sometimes the customer simply isn't right so unless you're in a distress sale situation be reasonable but no reason to be a wuss, either. And, if the former then probably just as well to give the price break and walk away, anyway.

...snip list of petty grievances...

None of that listed above is anything other than minor stuff as are the safety lights in question. If a potential purchaser is going to reject on the basis of this; fix it and they'll find something else. They're not interested and are just making excuses.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
actually its required you make nice with the buyer.......
I had big hassle selling mine, it was unreal what home inspectors found.
the first buyer walked, saying your home is in terrible shape. one of his inspectors gripes?
no GFCI on the garagew sump outlet.
*******************************************************************
As I said, it comes down to motivation and price. You are always free to tell the potential buyer to screw off and wait for another. Assuming, of course, you can afford to wait.
In your case, losing the first buyer may have been a gift. He may have been even more troublesome at closing.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.