Safety lites on gar. door opener

Page 2 of 5  

Harry K wrote:

You have to wonder why stubborn people even announce what they are going to do. Clearly he was already convinced that the 30 minute job of running some low voltage wire and mounting a sensor was an undesirable, overwhelming task when he made the post.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
George wrote: ...

I won't speak for OP; I only agreed w/ him that there are times/places where the practical utility of the beams is minimal at best and risks of not using them are (imo acceptably) low.
It really wouldn't make much difference from a risk-aversion standpoint here if I were to have installed them on the one I mentioned I had just done as it's a double garage and the other half has an opener that isn't equipped with them at all. That garage is the one that gets by far the most use as it is the primary automobile while the other had been being used as storage for the time since we returned to the farm and I finally managed to clean up enough to get the other car in there and out of the barn where it's been parked and (mostly) unused and in the way...and, no, I'm not about to either replace a working one in the other garage until/before it fails nor go to the effort to move them. :)
It's all about circumstances...
--
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

you know theres probably a insurance exclusion for intentially defeating safety systems..........
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

No claim, no exclusion... :)
--


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

well if a lost kid happens to get trapped by your door that exclusion may see you lose your home your retirement and everything else you worked a lifetime for.
or perhaps just a criminal proscuetion ???
or just living with having killed a kid and the scorn of friends neighbors etc....
but hey 30 minutes and a doorbell button is very expensive and a big hassle.
not worth the effort
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

Yep.
After all, I still have FPE breakers...
--
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

OK, let's consider this scenario a little...
A "lost" kid is going to wander by this particular farmstead that is some several miles from any residential area or highway in an area that is topographically flat and treeless to the point one can see telephone poles clearly on the horizon in any direction 5 miles away and then once having gotten here rather than approach the house is instead going to go into a fully detached garage, locate the garage door opener button that is at least 4-ft off the floor (probably close to 5-ft as it is mounted about a foot above the light switch) so this poor unfortunate lost tyke of a soul has to be a decent-sized/aged kid and open it then push it and then deliberately go stand or lie down in its path and wait for it to close on him/her.
OK, yeah, I'm worryin' now...
--
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

That isn't, agreed, but--got me thinkin'. I _might_ just velcro the remote to the header outside...then wouldn't have to walk around the fence into the yard and around to the other in order to get in from the farmyard side...I like it!!! :)
--



Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
George wrote: ...

Actually, it came to me "why" in many cases, particularly ones like this...
It's just _so_ much sport to tweak the nanny-cops and watch/read the (utterly predictable) righteous outrage and indignation... :)
--
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Harry K wrote: ...

Yes, it is a fact that when I push the button and walk out and it reverses that is a nuisance indeed... :)
That's only the most frequent of the other nuisances as well that had w/ the one location that did have them installed...but at that time the kids were still at home and were living in a residential neighborhood so I put up w/ it despite the nuisance.
Now that there are no kids and am back on the farm and it's isolated enough so there's no chance somebody else's kids will wander around unbeknownst, there's really no point in retaining this nuisance factor in my life at the moment.
Other situations are, certainly, different and I'd consider them on their individual merits/concerns.
--
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

???? go out that way? I go out through the door and hit the close button as I go. I don't have to even think about 'avoiding the beam'. I can't recall even once that the door started to close and then opened as I went through it.
You _do_ have a close button on the door jamb?
Something does not compute.
Harry K
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

D-
I agree with you that they are a PITA.
I've had GDO installations with & without the safety sensors.
A feature I always add to GDO installations is a "Dad switch", a switch I mount about 6' off the ground on the garage door opening framing just inside. This way I can close the door while standing outside the view of the sensors and not have to jump over them or key into a touch pad. Touch pads are handy entrance devices but the "Dad switch" is way faster for closing.
cheers Bob
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote: ...

Oh, intended to add...I _DID_ install them, I just put them up out of the way where they won't bother anybody... :)
--
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 05:30:56 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I, of course, gotta log in with dpb, et al.
2-door detached garage, one bay with 20+ yr-old opener, no lites. Lites on only 1 bay would look funny.
I am a loner, dawg is not allowed that area. Very few kids around and they got noooooo business out there.
If auto-reverse works well, I'll set that up and test, but no lites on door. Somebody darts in there after I push the button, they'll get a tap on the shoulder or head, big deal (knock some sense into 'em?).
You'll do whatcha need. And I'll do what *I* need.
Willie
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Willie The Wimp wrote:

So that means they could never be there?

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Remember the axiom of systems: "Fail-safe systems often fail by failing to fail safe."
In this case, imagine the scenario where you punch the button for door-down and go inside (or drive away). Meanwhile, the safety sensors cannot see each other (power failure, dirt, leaf, whatever) and raise the door. Shortly thereafter, a passing band of thieves go "Bless you lord!," sacrifice a chicken, and remove everything from your garage, including your pin-up calendar, and the length of rubber hose you use to siphon lawnmower gas.
You return to the garage to face a yawing abyss, a vast emptiness, and a garage door opener about to bust its buttons because it saved a life!
You relied on a fail-safe system to keep things safe. Now you weep.
Of course the purist would say "It's your own damn fault for not making sure the door stayed down!" But the obvious flaw in THAT argument is: "If I were in the habit of watching the door go down, why would I need an electric-eye monitor?"
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Ummm...for kids? Your argument stretches logic beyond all bounds.
Harry K
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Harry K wrote:

No, if I were watching the door go down, I could monitor whether a kid was stuck beneath. Then I could make a decision about whether to rescue him (or her).
As for logic being stretched, thieves are opportunists. With 50 house on the street, only one of which has the garage door open in the middle of the night, which of the 50 do you think will be the most enticing?
Maybe I'm missing something; what part of my logic do you fear is "stretched"?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

So you never leave the door open while you are home and working around the place? that is where your logic falls apart.
Harry K
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Harry K wrote:

Oh. Inasmuch as the whole discussion had to do with the door coming down (or refusing to do so), leaving the door up intentionally does not enter the equation nor, for that reason, did I consider it.
That said, if I intentionally leave the door open while I'm working around the house AND some thieves start to haul off my stuff AND I discover same, I will scoop out their lungs with my bulb-planting tool.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.