Safety lites on gar. door opener

Page 1 of 5

I have a new Chamberlain 1/2 hp chain opener, hope to install tomorrow.
Instructions say I gotta install elec. safety lites inside door. Questions:
1.) What (if any) code requires safety lites? 2.) Practical to install and use opener without 'em?
Replacing failed opener. Did fine w/o safety lites on old openers for 20+ years. Tired of playing ladder-monkey, stapling wires in gar. rafters.
Thx, Willie

I don't believe the unit will work if you don't connect the photo eyes
Willie The Wimp wrote:

If'n don't have very small children, I'm w/ you. I just mount the two sensors on a short board facing each other and set the assembly above the opener.
Used to be you could just short the inputs but the newer ones have some other logic that defeats the simplest of fixes; I just did a new Chamberlain here but didn't try to reverse-engineer other than the expedient outlined.
OBTW--if you do above, then it's relatively simple to put in place some time in the future if need to sell house or somesuch.
dpb wrote:

I'm with you. I want my children to have all the opportunities I did...

Same here. I even removed the seat belts in the vechicles.
Harry K
The wife and I can always make more.
__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4634 (20091124) __________
http://www.eset.com

I see, it is Darwin once removed. Nice!
Harry K
everyone should have a touch pad remote outside for easy door closings, and openings when you arent with your vehicle.
tv news carried a story where a 60 year old had disabled the sensors, he pushed down, stumbled on way out door, woke up moments later with door pinning his foot. auto reverse had been set to shut tite he reported.
anyhow 4 hours later he was freed, ended up spending a week in the hospital from blood clot and other complications.
afterward he had all safety devices fixed............
admitted it was his own fault. luckily he was heard screaming, his garage isnt easily seen........
so go ahead, disable all safety stuff, who needs it anyway??:(
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

The little plastic gears in the automatic door could be stripped easily by most anybody pushing the door in the opposite direction. Maybe they should put electric eyes on drop down cribs since the parents are too stupid to operate them.

So because one item doesn't have them, no items should? Seems a flaw of logic in there somewhere.
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

And from seeing it happen a few times the rough and tough I am so smart and everyone needs to be responsible for their own actions no one can tell me what to do types immediately want everyone to help (free stuff from government, sue everyone etc) them when they have an accident or problem.

That _seems_ to be English but...
Harry K

That is way more complicated than it has to be. I just pointed them at each other and duct taped them up that way, Coiled the wires up around the assembly and put them up on the opener bracket so they will be handy if I ever want to put them on the door tracks.
On Nov 25, 12:50am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I would strongly recommend installing them. Even if you don't have children you never know when someone is going to come over with one. For example, you ask a neighbor to check on your house while you are away and they happen to bring along their grandchild, etc. For the protection it offer compared to the small amount of work installing them, I think it's foolish to try to circumvent. They also offer the feature of automatically turning on the light in the door opener when you cross the beam. Nice when you have the door open and walk in at night.
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote: ...

The installation isn't the problem imo; it's the nuisance they create when I want to close the door and then leave that way and other spurious actions. And, since I don't have kids or grandkids of an age to worry about and we're 3 miles from any neighbors that do (and they don't come by anyway) and I'm an old pha__, I don't use 'em...(and I'm stickin' to it) :)

I'm in the same condition but still installed them correctly. I don't see what the problem is, they have neveer caused me a problem with leaving or entering and I am in and out of that 'man cave' almost more than I am in/out of the house.
Poeple who disable them try, but have never convinced anyone that they are a nuisance.
20 years with one and not once has it operated when I didn't want it too....well, I have had it fail to close a couple of times due to weeds blocking them and/or dirt buildup. I figure a minute or two spent correcting the problem over 20 years is hardly a "nuisance".
Harry K
Harry K wrote: ...

I'm convinced and for mine that's the entire population that matters... :)

I'm happy for you... :)
I think having to go out that way and try to avoid the beam is a pita that's not needed in my life. That alone is sufficient nuisance for me.
You're welcome to your opinion, of course.

install a regular doorbell button just inside garage door area.
walk out, reach in push button.
its not rocket science. although a utdoor touch pad is very convenient
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

... as I say, you suit yourself, I'll suit myself...

Yes, we can tell you are convinced it is a nuisance an no facts will change your mind.
Harry K