Safety lites on gar. door opener

I have a new Chamberlain 1/2 hp chain opener, hope to install tomorrow.

Instructions say I gotta install elec. safety lites inside door. Questions:

1.) What (if any) code requires safety lites? 2.) Practical to install and use opener without 'em?

Replacing failed opener. Did fine w/o safety lites on old openers for 20+ years. Tired of playing ladder-monkey, stapling wires in gar. rafters.

Thx, Willie

Reply to
Willie The Wimp

I don't believe the unit will work if you don't connect the photo eyes

Reply to
RBM

If'n don't have very small children, I'm w/ you. I just mount the two sensors on a short board facing each other and set the assembly above the opener.

Used to be you could just short the inputs but the newer ones have some other logic that defeats the simplest of fixes; I just did a new Chamberlain here but didn't try to reverse-engineer other than the expedient outlined.

OBTW--if you do above, then it's relatively simple to put in place some time in the future if need to sell house or somesuch.

--

Reply to
dpb

I'm with you. I want my children to have all the opportunities I did...

Reply to
HeyBub

Same here. I even removed the seat belts in the vechicles.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

That is way more complicated than it has to be. I just pointed them at each other and duct taped them up that way, Coiled the wires up around the assembly and put them up on the opener bracket so they will be handy if I ever want to put them on the door tracks.

Reply to
gfretwell

The wife and I can always make more.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4634 (20091124) __________

CraigT

I would strongly recommend installing them. Even if you don't have children you never know when someone is going to come over with one. For example, you ask a neighbor to check on your house while you are away and they happen to bring along their grandchild, etc. For the protection it offer compared to the small amount of work installing them, I think it's foolish to try to circumvent. They also offer the feature of automatically turning on the light in the door opener when you cross the beam. Nice when you have the door open and walk in at night.

Reply to
trader4

snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote: ...

The installation isn't the problem imo; it's the nuisance they create when I want to close the door and then leave that way and other spurious actions. And, since I don't have kids or grandkids of an age to worry about and we're 3 miles from any neighbors that do (and they don't come by anyway) and I'm an old pha__, I don't use 'em...(and I'm stickin' to it) :)

--

Reply to
dpb

snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote: ...

Oh, intended to add...I _DID_ install them, I just put them up out of the way where they won't bother anybody... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

I'm in the same condition but still installed them correctly. I don't see what the problem is, they have neveer caused me a problem with leaving or entering and I am in and out of that 'man cave' almost more than I am in/out of the house.

Poeple who disable them try, but have never convinced anyone that they are a nuisance.

20 years with one and not once has it operated when I didn't want it too....well, I have had it fail to close a couple of times due to weeds blocking them and/or dirt buildup. I figure a minute or two spent correcting the problem over 20 years is hardly a "nuisance".

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

ure database 4634 (20091124) __________

I see, it is Darwin once removed. Nice!

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

everyone should have a touch pad remote outside for easy door closings, and openings when you arent with your vehicle.

tv news carried a story where a 60 year old had disabled the sensors, he pushed down, stumbled on way out door, woke up moments later with door pinning his foot. auto reverse had been set to shut tite he reported.

anyhow 4 hours later he was freed, ended up spending a week in the hospital from blood clot and other complications.

afterward he had all safety devices fixed............

admitted it was his own fault. luckily he was heard screaming, his garage isnt easily seen........

so go ahead, disable all safety stuff, who needs it anyway??:(

Reply to
hallerb

Harry K wrote: ...

I'm convinced and for mine that's the entire population that matters... :)

I'm happy for you... :)

I think having to go out that way and try to avoid the beam is a pita that's not needed in my life. That alone is sufficient nuisance for me.

You're welcome to your opinion, of course.

Reply to
dpb

I, of course, gotta log in with dpb, et al.

2-door detached garage, one bay with 20+ yr-old opener, no lites. Lites on only 1 bay would look funny.

I am a loner, dawg is not allowed that area. Very few kids around and they got noooooo business out there.

If auto-reverse works well, I'll set that up and test, but no lites on door. Somebody darts in there after I push the button, they'll get a tap on the shoulder or head, big deal (knock some sense into 'em?).

You'll do whatcha need. And I'll do what *I* need.

Willie

Reply to
Willie The Wimp

Can't argue with sound logic that if something hasn't happened in 20 years it will never happen.

I actually disconnected, removed and sold the air bags in the car since I have never been in an accident that required them so I never will...

Reply to
George

So that means they could never be there?

Reply to
George

It' a crock of bull.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

The little plastic gears in the automatic door could be stripped easily by most anybody pushing the door in the opposite direction. Maybe they should put electric eyes on drop down cribs since the parents are too stupid to operate them.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Given the litigious society we're living in, I'd be concerned about the liability falling on me if that one in a million chance accident happened and crushed a kid's skull.

I wonder if my homeowner's/umbrella policy insurance would refuse to pay if it was proven that I deliberately ignored the manufacturer's instructions regarding those safety lights.

That, plus the guilt I'd have to live with for the rest of my life.

"There is no right way to do the wrong thing" (Thomas Huxley)

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia