Safety light that continues to work w/o power?

I would like to buy something for the furnace room where the circuit breaker panel is. A light bulb with a built in battery or some such, that would continue to provide some light eveen after the power is out. Maybe something LED based or some such. Just a few watts to see the circuit breakers, would suffice. Any ideas?

Ignoramus9863

they sell emergency exit lights that have their own battery backup, but are wired into the mains.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Many lights are available. Just check with your electrical supplier. Or look for them at

or

Edwin Pawlowski

how about a FLASHLIGHT.. they work great for this.... and are very inexpensive.....

Reply to
jim

Even better, one of those head-mounted flashlights with the elastic band that goes around your forehead...just keep it hanging on a nail somewhere easy to access near the furnace room. Now you got two hands free for easy electrocution.

Reply to
Curmudgeon

That's my idea exactly. Hang the flashlight(s) on the wall(s) near doorways and change the batteries (duracells) every 2 years. I just lost my Black and Decker twist flashlight that hangs on the wall beside the garage door. Stupid me probably left it sitting on a car bumper.

But they do sell emergency light that have a rechargeable battery and automatically go on when the power goes off. You could probably by a lot of flashlights and batteries for the price though.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Go to Target or The Home Depot and check the area where they sell smoke alarms, fire extinguishers, etc. Black & Decker made these years ago, I'll bet somebody still does if not them: Little box light with two prongs that flip out of the back, you plug it straight into an outlet. It sits there in standby and stays charged, it lights automatically if the power goes out, and of course you can unplug it at anytime and use it as a flashlight.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

:You could purchase a rechargable flashlight, and mount it near your furnace. Then you wouldn't have to worry about battery replacements. Dave

Reply to
DaveG

Ignoramus9863 wrote in news:c27rm9$7a5$ snipped-for-privacy@pita.alt.net:

you can buy inexpensive LED lights at Wal-Mart,some have lithium cells that will store for 10 years.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

That is what I was going to suggest..... LED lights such as the type you keep on a key ring for emergencies

Photon is one brand. see link

me6

Nice, but . . . . . I think he wants something that comes on when the power goes out. What do you do if you are in your undies and the lights go out on a dark night? It would be nice to have a battery operated light come on automatically so you can find your way to the flashlights and kerosene lamps. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski