Safety First - Call a Professional

It seems that in 90% of all posts on this newsgroup. someone tells the poster to contact the pros. Well, I fully agree. I contact the pros no matter what I do.

I just contacted my professional therapist and got the OK to post to this message, after contacting a professional from my phone company to insure my phone was safe, and I was able to properly and safely use the telephone to call my therapist. I also called my team of medical professionals to be sure that my mental and bodily conditions were up to par to use the internet. Then of course I had to get a crew of professionals from Microsoft to come to my home and boot my computer for me. but they told me that I first had to hire a professional electrician to inspect the outlet this computer derives it's power, and this electrician had to hire a professional from the electric company to verify my home was receiving the proper electrical power.

With that all completed, I want to share with you the following message:

I always hire a pro for EVERYTHING I do. Even if I got to take a shit, I hire a pro to do it for me. We are all idiots in all ways. Only the pros can do things safely and correctly. None of us mere people are capable of doing things ourselves. We are all uneducated idiots incapable of thinking for ourselves or touching anything, particularly dangerous tools and the like. We must hire a pro for anything and everything we do in our lives..... Damn it, I was just getting into this message and now I got to take a piss. I better call a pro to handle it for me.... I'll be back after the professional typist that is typing this message for me calls a professional coffee service to make him a cup of coffee, and the professional that is managing my computer software contacts his professional software programmer, and while I call a professional to help me take my piss, while my professional bathroom cleaner takes a break, which of course means he will have to contact his professional break management crew. ......

Hold on a second, I have to call my professional therapist again to see if it's OK to send this message......

Safety First

Reply to
safety1st

Thus spake snipped-for-privacy@everywhere.com:

Y'think that some of those posters are professionals that see USENET as a threat to their livelihood? And if we simply share information on how to do something safely, s/he thinks that they will end up in the poor house?

Increased revenue by spreading fear.

"Our chief weapon is suprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise. ..."

FBt

Reply to
Esther & Fester Bestertester

I live in fear ever working day: the fear of being wrong. As a result, I carry liability insurance but still try to be careful. Being careful reduces my risk of being wrong, and is expected of me by the state that licenses me. What interest do I have in making work for another professional in another state? Some generalized fear of disaster in the hearts of do-it-yourselfer everywhere? Time to adjust your headgear:

The problem could also be reframed:

"It seams that in 90% of all posts on this newsgroup somebody wants to cut corners without really knowing what they're doing and hope to find some knowledgeable professional who will give them the go ahead without having all the facts of the situation in front of them, and for no compensation, while exposing themselves to liability for faulty advice.

Y'think that some law-breaking cheapskates are looking for cover if they screw up and their world comes down around their ears?

Decreased accountability by deflecting responsibility."

Discuss amongst yourselves! I'm verklempt!

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Hello,

The Information Highway (Internet) is for sharing: sharing experiences. When i post a question, iam hoping to find someone that has had the same expeience . . . then we "talk". This is called sharing and giving and helping. If a person that posts a question becomes a helper here on the Information Highway - so what . . .

Michael Bulatovich wrote:

Reply to
Harry

Hello,

I thought average Home Insurance covered repairmen . . .

Reply to
Harry

If you mean a physical therapist, you did just fine. If it was a psychotherpist, he didn't do well because you come across as a jerk.

Reply to
Toller

Your point is....?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Again, Harry, your point is.....?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

I think our 90% estimate is way high. Also almost all the "check with..." involve going to a source for the _official_ information, as in "will this be code compliant to...?" Answer "check with your builiding inspector". That is not going to an "expert" as you are referring to.

That said, Yes, I have seen some trade people object to people getting free 'how-to-do-it" info here. One case that still rankles was a plumber that made repeated trips to a ladies house to re-prime her pump that only took him a minute or two to do but he would not show her how to do it himself. Tried to justify himself here but got raked over the coals.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Hey, Toller -- don't feed the trolls.

Reply to
Doug Miller

While your antithesis of AHR was entertaining, when ya want a good laugh, call a professional comedian! Maybe you missed the "Ode to AHR" by Terry in the "saving romex" thread?: Message-ID:

Reply to
volts500

Relying on insurance is like buying the condoms after she's pregnant.

RicodJour

Eliminate the Doctor; AMAZINGLY SIMPLE HOME REMEDIES

  1. If you are choking on an ice cube, don't panic. Simply pour a cup of boiling water down your throat and presto. The blockage will be almost instantly removed.

  1. Clumsy? Avoid cutting yourself while slicing

vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

  1. Avoid arguments with the little woman about lifting the toilet seat by simply using the sink.

  1. For high blood pressure sufferers: simply cut yourself and bleed for a few minutes, thus reducing the pressure in your veins. Remember to use a timer.

  2. A mouse trap, placed on top of your alarm clock, will prevent you from rolling over and going back to sleep after you hit the snooze button.

  1. If you have a bad cough, take a large dose of laxatives, then you will be afraid to cough.

  2. Have a bad toothache? Smash your thumb with a hammer and you will forget about the toothache.

Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

[...]

I thought I WAS a troll!

Reply to
Toller

I think it was snipped-for-privacy@everywhere.com who stated:

The professional I consulted advised that snipped-for-privacy@everywhere.com SHOULD be put in my killfile at my EARLIEST convenience. I shall certainly comply.

Reply to
Don Fearn

Naaaah, not you.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Hey Doug.. saw your sig on this one (since removed, darn it,) about the need to toss the tea again. Thought you might like this one:

\\"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."-- Claire Wolfe

Reply to
Kurt Ullman