Safety bars in shower stall

A carbide bit and some time will allow holes through tile. It does take some time. If you can put the holes in the grout joints.

Your biggest problem is not drilling the holes, it is finding structure behind the tile in the area that the grab bars attach. Improperly installed bars are dangerous.

Reply to
SQLit

Find the studs behind the tile if at all possible. Try a good stud finder. Even though there is a lot of material, it may pick up the rough locations.

If you can access the shower wall on the other side (bedroom, for example), find the studs there and transfer the measurement.

There are special fasteners made just for bath grab bars:

the studs can't be reached. Hard to believe but they're supposed to work!

For the grab bar, if at all possible, get a "corner" grab similar to:

(come in all sizes).

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I need to install a safety bar in my shower stall. I have tile from floor to ceiling. What is the best way to drill thru the tile? And what sort of anchor or insert do I put in the hole that will not split the tile when I screw the bar to the wall? TIA Chuck B.

Reply to
Chuck B.

Thanks Jim. I'll check it out.

Reply to
Chuck B.

Thanks for the help. I'll be careful.

Reply to
Chuck B.

Anchoring it to a stud is a MUST. If you already have mobility problems a safety bar coming lose when you put weight on it will be a disaster.

Reply to
PaPaPeng