Safety

Photo of the socket set I melted down when I shorted that battery out 25 years ago.

Reply to
philo

LOL! Fortunately, I have not gone that far. Ruined a pair of dikes, once. I knew someone that was around a very large breaker, at a power plant, when his partner pushed a metal "fish" into the cabinet they were trying to pull some wires into. My commennt: Fiberglass, idiots.

Anyway, that breaker blew up. He was lucky to not get injured and he and his partner got kicked out of the facility.

I installed a large UPS for a server farm. It had a large cabinet full of batteries wired for 480vdc. The UPS tech not only had all of the expensive tools, he had to wear hot gloves while he terminated all of the jumpers, plus the final tie in. Talk about being in a position to not want to mess up! Higher voltage and tight spacing sucks when working with live componets.

Reply to
Irreverent Maximus

LOL! Fortunately, I have not gone that far. Ruined a pair of dikes, once. I knew someone that was around a very large breaker, at a power plant, when his partner pushed a metal "fish" into the cabinet they were trying to pull some wires into. My commennt: Fiberglass, idiots.

Anyway, that breaker blew up. He was lucky to not get injured and he and his partner got kicked out of the facility.

I installed a large UPS for a server farm. It had a large cabinet full of batteries wired for 480vdc. The UPS tech not only had all of the expensive tools, he had to wear hot gloves while he terminated all of the jumpers, plus the final tie in. Talk about being in a position to not want to mess up! Higher voltage and tight spacing sucks when working with live componets.

Reply to
Irreverent Maximus

Yep, it was a 480v DC UPS that I was working on and at least I knew to wear all my safety equipment.

Only within the last ten years has my company started to ramp up safety awareness a bit.

One of our competitors was killed working on a hydraulic battery extractor due to lack of training. It was the same equipment we worked on.

After the guy was killed , I went over the heads of everyone else in my company and wrote directly to our CEO.

Rather than get us training in hydraulics, he made it a company policy that we were to call in an expert in the field rather than do the work ourselves. I got a lot of people pissed off for going over their heads but the CEO himself was fine with my letter.

Reply to
philo

Whenever I pulled wire into a hot panel, I would make a cardboard deflector to keep the metal fish tape from getting into the live circuits. Cardboard is the other needed construction and repair material which must be added to your arsenal along with duct tape. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas