Safe way to remove branches around power transformer?

Page 2 of 2
On 6/22/2014 8:59 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I had not realized that we were engaged in a 'debate' as such. Perhaps I should have stated my original answer more pedantically taking into account every possible permutation of utility connection but I still believe that most people would understand the gist of my original answer which is that the wires aren't yours until they get to the house. The answer still is 'don't mess with the wires where they run through the trees -- get the utility company to do their job'.

Again, "until they get to the house" as opposed to "the point where they _enter_ the house" is very different. In terms of who is responsible for what and what that means to the homeowner, that difference is huge. It would have been OK for you to say that you were wrong instead of claiming most people knew what you meant, but the reason you didn't do that is a not a home-repair related discussion.
Keep in mind that the OP didn't appear to know that the utility is responsible for the trimming of trees near their wires in the first place, so any response related to that issue is new information to him. For that reason, he would not be included in the "most people know what I meant" group. It is our responsibility to be as accurate as possible with information related to his issue so as not to lead him astray. My response to your post was to simply set the record straight as to where the utility company's responsibility "typically" ends.
In my area the utility will trim trees that they perceive as a risk to their lines.
That is not the same as trees that I perceive as a risk to their lines. I would have liked much more clearance but they declined.

Did you want something like this? ;-)
http://saveourliveoaks.com/images/Trees%20and%20wires.jpg
They did this to a huge pine tree at the end of my street. Since it is the only tree on the corner lot, removing it completely would have removed any "privacy" that the homeowner had, leaving her with a wide open lot. From her yard, it still looks like a "normal" tree, but from up the street where I live, the U is as visible as the one in the picture.