Safe to run circulation fan all night?

We do the same. An added benefit for us is that continuous running of the fan eliminates the need of a dehumidifier in the basement and the constant circulation keeps the air in the basement fresh and warm or cool (depending upon the season). Our air conditioner runs much less than most of our neighbour's units in houses that are basically the same.
--
Ron P

If we are what we eat then: I\'m fast,

Starting the motor is hardest on it, its made to run. You will even out the temp upstairs which I guess is where you sleep. It might pull 400 watts but not add alot to your bill in the hottest days by itself, but cooling more upstairs can add more, run it and be comfortable.

We had a new furmace and central air installed last year.After it was installed the owner came out to show us the system. He then told us that we should run the fan 24/7 because it would keep the temp.more even in the house and in the long run would save money. A week later I told a person at work abuot this ( he just had a house built .) and he said the company that installed his furance / central air told hoim the same thing.
Perfectly safe, and a good idea. that's why the switch is there.

I believe that Pat hinted at something that no one else has said. Many people have commented on your question about running the fan 24/7, but no one specifically addressed the issue of "When it gets hot out, the a/c doesn't cool the upstairs well."
Besides the runing the fan 24/7 (which has been recommended to me by more than one HVAV contractor) there is also a need to rebalance (unbalance?) the system when you switch from heating to cooling. I close just about all of dampers in the ductwork for the basement and first floor ducts during the cooling season.
This forces the cold air to the registers on the second floor where it cools the bedrooms and bathrooms and then naturally sinks to the lower levels.

In addition to opening up the upper supply vents and closing the lower ones, you should do the same for the return grilles. By opening up the upper ones and closing the lower ones, you are pulling more heat and humidity out of the room. And since hot air naturally rises, it makes sense to have th upper ones do most of the work.