Safe to assume most prefer concrete to fiberglass swimming pools?

Greetings!

I live in Southern California, USA, and since purchasing my unfinished house out in the foothills about 6 years ago, I have been constantly doing various repair, remodelling, and landscaping projects. We are about to have some decks put on the house and are thinking about putting in a pool at the same time.

However, I have heard horror stories about the pool construction process and I am not sure my nerves can take the installation process (seriously -- I am a nervous wreck!). Expense is also a serious consideration as we don't have tons of extra cash, and will have even less cash after the decks are completed.

Then I thought about those prefabricated fiberglass pools, and thought that they might be significantly less expensive and less nightmarish to install than the gunite variety. We don't need a large pool at all...in fact a very small kidney shaped pool would be ideal...so perhaps, I thought, fiberglass might work well for us.

Alas, after reviewing some traffic on the topic in this and other newsgroups, it appears that most people have a preference for the gunite. In any case, any opinions on the matter, or general advice, or rough cost estimates would be much appreciated! Are there other materials besides gunite and fiberglass that I should be aware of? Any advice on how to keep pool construction costs down? Recommendations for any affordable pool manufacturers anywhere between Santa Barbara and Santa Maria, California, are also appreciated.

Thanks!

Chuck

Reply to
Dolchas