Safe - how to open?

Page 1 of 2

I just took possession of a property and there is a safe in one of the closets. The safe is about 36"x36"x24" deep. The previous owner was an elderly man and no longer remember the combinations. Me and a buddy tried to move it and it would not move an inch...we think it is at least 500 pounds in weight.
Is there a way to get it opened? If I call a locksmith and they come open it does it mean they will break it in order to get it open or is there a way to open it and reset the combinations so it may be used?
Thanks,
MC

A locksmith can *probably* open it and reset the combination for you.
Those old safes were steel & concrete-- huge, heavy, and with a small compartment. [early ones were fireproof, but not waterproof- so your papers would not get singed, but would be waterlogged.]
Jim
MiamiCuse wrote:

I've seen 'em do it. They drill an itty-bitty hole (quarter-inch) in a special place and, with the aid of a teeny-weenie light and flexible tools poke around in the safe's innards.
After getting it open, you can repair the hole.
Probably take a couple of hours.
You'll pay the rate you'd expect from a professional's on-location visit, I'd guess a couple hundred.
Before you take steps, I'd get a firm commitment as to the ownership of the safe and its contents.

Or you hire an OCD 12-year old to sit there for three days trying every possible combination. It's not like you're in a hurry.

Realize that the main purpose of a safe is to prevent what you are describing. There is certainly a way to do what you want, but it might be costly, and they might have to verify who owns the safe. A locksmith may have to destroy the mechanism, in order to open it. The safe manufacturer may charge a lot of money to open it.
Greg

My brother once bought an un-opened safe just a little smaller than yours. He took it to a locksmith who "cracked" it without damage. Call some locksmiths with the model of the safe and ask them if they can open it.
Bob
MiamiCuse wrote:

Keep this in mind, All safes, whether they are bank vaulys or home can be opened with the right knowledge and tools. Yours is no exception.
call the comapny that made the safe. They will tell you what information to collect from the case, and can then give you a combination. If that doesn't work, call alocksmith. A good one should be able to get it open without damaging it. When you speak to them on the phone, give them as much info about hte safea s you can.....

In addition to what the others have said, you might want to call the lawyer you used for your will (simply because it's a name you already have), and see if he/she can recommend anyone. I can't imagine this is the first time they would've heard of a situation like this. You might get two benefits from the phonecall: A bit of advice with regard to the legality of what you're doing, and the name of an experienced locksmith, as opposed to just picking a name out of the phone book.

Are the hinges exposed? Maybe they can be cut and replaced later after combination is reset..Having a safe can actually draw thieves to Your house if people see it and start flappin thier gums..Will a heavy duty handcart help with moving it?

It would be a rarity to find a safe (other than a toy) that could be opened by cutting off external hinges. There are hardened steel pins in the edge of the door that slip into holes in the jam on the hinge side when the door is closed.
CWM

Oh well,,a career as a safecracker is'nt in My future anyway.It was just a thought. I spose there was a hint to the quality of the safe judging by the weight,,but,,how can I know the weight is'nt from something IN it?On the other hand it was a roundabout way to get to the info You gave..I'm sure the OP is glad for it.. Dean
I bet you can't even get a wooden 1 3/4" door out of its opening by removing the hinge pins unless you hurt the door or the jamb, unless it was hung very sloppily..
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

Even well built doors ca'nt be too tight between the jamb or they wo'nt open without scraping,,but,,far as I can see,it's all moot.. Dean
MiamiCuse wrote:

I'd say you should talk to your lawyer first. Even if the previous owner gave or gives you a release saying the safe and anything in it is yours to do with as you wish, there might just be stuff in it which was NOT his property in the first place.
It's not inconceivable that if there is stuff in it belonging to others which is really valuable and word gets out you might have to deal with the rightful owners or their heirs.
As others have already told you,professionals can open ANY safe. Money is a great lubricant and almost anything can be accomplished if you're willing to pour enough of it onto the problem. Depending on the quality and age of the safe that could mean anything from a hundred bucks to "OMG".
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Speaking of old folks saving stuff: A friend of mine used to be into buying and refinishing antique furniture. One day, he and his wife found a really nice dresser at an estate auction. They bought it for $150.00. As they were loading it into their pickup, they laid it on its back and heard something metallic sliding around. They stood it up again, pulled out the drawers, and under the bottom drawer was a lightweight metal box containing $4,000.00 in hundred dollar bills. They went home fast.

He's quite the humanitarian.
I'd count your silverware after he leave your house the next time!

You would've walked that metal box back to the auctioneer?

record. Around here at least, many auctioneers ain't real honest. Yeah, keeping it was probably technically legal (although there is case law saying nobody should benefit from an obvious mistake), but it would have left me feeling scummy.
aem sends...

It wasn't especially NICE of them, but it was, as far as I know, perfectly legal. Going from that to petty theft is a bit of a leap.