Safe drain cleaner for septic tank

I'm looking for a safe-for-septic-tanks drain cleaner. I have a slow drain in the bathroom basin that will not stay clear. I use a plunger and it clears for a few uses, than slows up again.
Suggestions? Preferably something you tried and which cleaned drain and didn't harm septic tank. I'd prefer this over package assurances of safety; ink is cheap, pumping septic tanks is expensive.
Too old to tear drain trap apart.
TIA

I don't think anything short of mechanical cleaning will work. Chemical drain cleaners are pretty useless.
On 01/03/2014 07:53 AM, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:

I don't have a septic tank but do have one drain that gets clogged occasionally and I just put in Liquid Plumr (or equivalent) and it usually clears it completely. Sometimes it takes two tries.
About every ten years I do have to call a plummer to snake things out. I do not want to deal with that myself. I heard of a guy taking a drain pipe apart and got cut and sustained a life-threatening infection.
The label states that it is septic tank safe.
The ingredients are simply lye and bleach.
On Fri, 03 Jan 2014 06:53:14 -0700, Arthur Conan Doyle

Rubbush. Chemical drain cleaners work well, depending on the blockage. Some, I've never had luck with but others I've used quite successfully. In a previous house our master shower drain would always block (hair/soap). We had a crystal drain cleaner that would clear it every time (Draino was useless). It did take overnight but it cleaned it well. Not sure I'd use them with a septic tank (haven't had to).
On 1/3/2014 8:40 AM, KenK wrote:

Septic will handle normal use of any drain cleaner. Mine is nearly 40 years old and has not had problems other than a couple of minor repairs. Pump out schedule depends on number of users. With only 2 of us in the house now, I go 4-5 years whereas when 3 sons were home it was every other year.
On 01/03/2014 08:32 AM, Frank wrote: X
<snip> I go 4-5 years whereas when 3 sons were home it was every

If you "go" only every 4 or five years, I bet your septic tank only needs cleaning once a millennium.
On 1/3/2014 9:49 AM, philo wrote:

I was going to comment that his sons were "full of it".
--
.
Christopher A. Young
KenK wrote:

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Hmm, my septic tank doesn't have a drain.
(as long as Philo was picking on grammar ;-)

I have had good luck with a short plastic snake that has barbs. It is especially good at removing hair.
<http://zipitclean.com/ I never got results that were as good using a chemical drain cleaner.
Fred

They are not very expensive at the local stores, but I have been using the same one for a couple of years. I clean the hair off after use, but it is not exactly sterile.
I suggest anyone be careful not to get stuck by one of the barbs!
Fred
On 1/3/2014 7:40 AM, KenK wrote:

here is some info: http://www.plumbingsupply.com/roebic.html
--