(S)witching day one...

As one of those affected that had indicated only thing to do was wait, here's situation here after Day 1 of the DTV switch.

Two of the four OTA stations switched; two remained analog.

Of the two who did, I can receive one, not the other w/ nothing other than plug in the converter box and doing a scan. Whether the other will show up after minor tweaking of antenna, etc., or not only time will tell; I'm probably not doing anything of any significance until after all have made the switch so only have to deal w/ it once.

The on that comes in is so-so; random pixel dropouts and not terribly annoying audio breaks. Certainly nothing better than analog overall would be initial reaction.

Standby--update in June... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Dammit! I forgot to watch the stations sign off for the last time...

nate

(I'm a geek)

Reply to
Nate Nagel

None of our TV stations has turned off the analog yet. Three of them have analog transmissions that are watchable, several more have analog transmissions that are barely watchable or unwatchable. The digital transmissions from all of them are great.

All with an outside antenna.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote: ...

Yeah, but the attenuation is so much as to make it useless in that mode for one and extremely marginal for the other...I'm sure I'll live w/ it until the rest switch over; no point in investing in other stuff that's going to be useless in a couple of months...

As in "DOH, why didn't _I_ think of that!" :(

It _is_ in the direction of the stations--they're all (fortunately) roughly in the same place w/ the exception of one that's a little farther to the NE than the rest.

We'll just have to (again) wait and see what transpires after the rest actually switch. I'm not getting the lift out to get up to the antenna and fiddle with it until the stations are through w/ at least most of _their_ fiddling.

Hopefully they will have sufficient signal strength that as the analog I can split the difference and get by but won't know until (S)witching Day #2 arrives.

Too soon to tell overall. Initially as I reported it seemed like a fair amount of drop out but during the evening news it was pretty good. Time will tell how much it's disturbed by atmospheric conditions, etc.

I'm sure this one is; don't know what the ones yet to go will do but I suspect once they get to witching day it'll be what it's going to be (reception, that is).

--

Reply to
dpb

The one that stopped* analog broadcasting here didn't sign off, but just stopped in the middle of a commercial just before midnight.

  • - It started (and still is) broadcasting a message about converter boxes. That is, it DID NOT stop analog broadcasting.
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I've heard many good reports of changing from a directional antenna to a multidirectional antenna. Signal strength may go down a little on some stations but the number of stations received usually goes up.

KC

Reply to
KC

The nicest thing I noticed is that the stations that were already providing HD have now committed to the 6:9 aspect ratio. In other words they are no longer putting filler space on the left/right and keeping all the content in the middle to fit the old 4:3 aspect ratio.

Reply to
RickH

Waterman Broadcasting (several stations in Ft Myers) switched right in the middle of the noon news, live. They showed the guy pulling the plug on the analog transmitter feed. If you were watching in analog that was the last thing you saw before snow.

Reply to
gfretwell