s-trap plug

Hi folks..I have a stopped up bath tub drain. Have removed the lever and chain from the overflow pipe, and cleaned to no luck. There is a plug on the trap that is pretty rusty. The trap itself appears to be cast metal. I've tried removing the plug no luck. Sprayed it with penetrating oil, but probably not getting into the threads very well. Do you think it is OK to try heating up the pipe with a torch in hopes of removing that plug, or should I worry about methane gas in the pipe exploding?...I apologize if this is a dumb question. But it seems like my last resort to get this thing fixed. Can't snake past the trap. Appreciate any help. Thanks.. JJ

Reply to
John J

I doubt it's an "S" trap, more likely a "drum" trap.

sown to Fig. 7

I like the "chisel" method shown, though there can be risk of breaking things. If there's no danger of fire, heating the casting will help.

You might also try suctioning the drain with a ShopVac. Plug the overflow opening with wet rags.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

scroll sown to Fig. 7

Reply to
John J

Yes, it could be a cast P-trap. The plug would be at the bottom, no? In that case, it will have water over it and heating will have zero effect. If the plug happens to be on top, go ahead and heat it.

If the piping downstream of the trap is easily accessed, sometimes it's better to just hack out a section and put a PVC cleanout TEE in using Fernco couplings. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

> scroll sown to Fig. 7

John-

I assume that since its a bath tub & you have access to the trap you've got some sort of basement or crawlspace access?

If so, I trick I have used when the plug will not budge.......this works best with a brass plug in a cast iron fitting.

I drill through the plug to get access to the clog, run the end of a hand snake w/o the "hook" through the plug & into the clog. Repair the drilled hole by threading & installing a small plug or pound in a small taperd lead plug.

Before I went after this with a Sawzall I'd give Jim's ShopVac idea a try...you might use the shop vac along with an enzyme drain cleaner that you let sit over night.

Do not use any acid or base drain cleaner before the shop vac idea

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Thanks for the tips guys..I had thought about drilling out the plug as a means of breaking it out of the hole..and I might try that approach also..although I'm thinking it's so rusted the threads might be really fused in there. Jim..do you mean zero effect on enlarging the hole..as a means of trying to break the threads free?..with the water in there?

> > scroll sown to Fig. 7

Reply to
John J

I'm afraid so. The water will get up to boiling temp (maybe) and that's as hot as the casting will get. Unless you use enough heat maybe to boil it all out...

Reply to
Speedy Jim

With water in the trap, and no danger of fire, you might heat it up nice and hot which should boil away the blockage (that's all those chemicals do anyway) ... if that's where the blockage is.

What I'd do is cut the whole thing out (sawzall with metal blade) and replace with ABS.

OT: that sawzall makes short work of cast iron pipe ... used one to cut the fill/vent pipes (cemented into wall) to remove my old oil tank.

Reply to
bowgus

Ok, guys...got a better idea of my options now. Thanks for the help! Regards, John

Reply to
John J

John-

Let us know how it works out