Ryobi 750r Clutch removal

Hello, all.
My Ryobi 750r weed trimmer has a problem. The pull rope is jammed. Now while a neighbor has been using it and promises to make it good, I love a challenge. We tried to get it to see why it is jammed or sprung or whatever, but the clutch drum assembly doesn't want to come off. Is there an easy trick to this? I'm afraid a clutch puller specific to this one (my buddy has a clutch puller but says it won't fit) would cost more than a new trimmer.
Thoughts?
--
Maury French
snipped-for-privacy@HAMNOSPAMcmf-enterprises.com