Ryobi 725R Gas Trimmer

I ran my gas trimmer by accident without pouring in my pre-mix of 32:1 gas to oil. The engine seized after about 30 minutes. Not sure if I have to buy both a new piston/rod and cylinder assembly (about $50 total cost) or if I should just run out and buy a new one. Is there a chance that more things are broken that what meets the eye such as where the piston rod connects with the fly wheel.

Here is what I've done so far: when I pulled the cord, it didn't budge an inch, so I took it apart and got access to the piston. Even with coating the piston with oil, it doesn't want to move very smoothly within the chamber. I'm guessing one or the other is warped. Physical examination with the naked eye however doesn't show any such signs of warpage nor any scoring so I'm not sure. Is warpage measured in milimeters so that it is not distinguishable by just looking?

Anyone wanting to own up to a similar occurance would be most welcome.

Reply to
kc_wallace

If you cant get it to pull smoothly after coating it with oil its trash and not worth the fix, you also damaged the bearings and the crankshaft. Put it together and try to run it for awhile, if it doesnt perform buy another one and keep this unit for spare parts.

Reply to
m Ransley

Reply to
John Lawrence