Ryobi 18 Battery rebuild?

Both of mine died after 2 years of steady use. I am really happy with the tools but figure the batteries could have been better. Has anyone here rebuilt theirs. Anyone have any suggestions for a novice. ( Other than just buy new replacements or another set of tools.) I figure tech has to have passed by the 15 in line cells in the plastic case by now. Perhaps fewer cells of higher/Longer?? capacity, foaming in any surplus space in the case?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 22 Nov 2004 12:46:19 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Mac) wrote:

Good news. Ryobi has recently announced that they have an 18 volt battery that fits every 18 volt tool they have ever produced, and they retail for $39 for TWO.
BB
Add pictures here
βœ–

You have a link for that?
Add pictures here
βœ–
not quite the right price http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?prod_id6919&cm_ven=1hd.com2froogle&cm_cat=product&cm_plaώed&cm_ite=froogle
39.97 for the 2 pack
Wayne
(Mac) wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

They are advertising it all over the place in magazines. Try any of the big box home centers where Ryobi is sold.
BB

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 22 Nov 2004 12:46:19 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Mac) wrote:

$40 for a two pack at Home Depot. Not worth a rebuild.
Jeff
Add pictures here
βœ–
(Mac) wrote:

My local Home Depot must be the country cousin. I checked for replacements last week and they were about $70.00 per.
I'll have to check again with these numbers and have them ordered in.
Thanks everyone who replyed.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 22 Nov 2004 12:46:19 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Mac) wrote:

You can break the batteries apart and replace the individual cells but you won't save money unless only one one or two cells are bad.
The solder strip cells are available online.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Where do you buy the cell?

Add pictures here
βœ–

Try Digi-Key;www.digikey.com.
IMO,it's far better to take it to a battery store and have them rebuild.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

Add pictures here
βœ–

Try http://www.primecell.com/pctools.htm
Add pictures here
βœ–
Ryobi 18 volt batteries are $49.00 for two at HD. Why rbuild them at that price.
AZCRAIG
www.arizonavintagetrailers.com

βœ–

The rebuilt from Primecell are better than the original Ryobi. Comes back to the cost/benefit ratio. Not long ago the Ryobi were twice that price making a rebuild a better bargain.
Add pictures here
βœ–
wrote in message

I have replaced cells in a battery with the old slow recharge systems (14 hour recharge). However, the fast charge systems now in general use seem to need cells of very uniform characteristics. Replacing individual cells may not work too well.
SJF
Add pictures here
βœ–
In worst case scenario, you can connect the original battery connectors to hot-wired, new leads and run off a standard 12v auto lead-acid battery. I've done this with 2 portable electric tools (drill and skillsaw). Guaranteed to run most of the day before needing a recharge, but a bit hefty to lug around at the job site. better than buying overpriced nicads, and avoids tossing away a perfectly good DC-powered tool. A good 12v lead-acid will run a small 18v motor without any noticeable drop in power.
wrote in message

Add pictures here
βœ–

Or you could use one of those smaller 12V lawn tractor batteries,or a motorcycle battery,more portable.Use a longer,heavier gauge cord,maybe salvaged from an old extension cord.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik