Rusty/welded bolts on steel bars, how to remove?

"Liquid Wrench" is amazing. It wouldn't hurt to try it.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

dremmel tool will do it quickly and easily.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Hi Folks:

Helping a friend of mine putting old window bars (steel) back over her windows on her house.

I noticed on the frame, the bolts are severely/rusted on the frame and I cannot remove them with conventional wrenches(or socket wrenches)... The rust now seems to have the same effect as if the 3 bolts have been "welded" into the holes.

I'm guessing the next best way to remove this is to saw the bolts off and then attempt to "pop" the remaining piece out with a "drive" and a hammer.

All I want to do is to remove 3 very rusted out bolts from the frame so that I can put 3 new ones in there. They're about 1/8th inch thick. WD-40 won't work for something like this. Is there some kind of solution I can buy which will dissolve rust particles like this?

thanks!!!

Reply to
Lets Play Two

you could try some dilute muriatic acid or phosphoric acid (Phosgo). It eats away rust fairly quickly, and the substrate metal slowly. bill

Reply to
bill a

Your description of what these three bolts do is vague. It is VERY common to have the attaching hardware welded to the frame. After all it would not do to put an security screen up that can simply be unbolted from the out side.

Reply to
SQLit
1/8th Inch bolts? I thought these were security bars. Those are so thin you could probably break them off with a toe-nail clipper. Take a hammer and chisel and bust em off. An angle grinder will also grind em off quickly.

Reply to
jnmgvf.com