Rusty water spilling from oil furnace

My 30-yr old Van Wert oil furnace is intermittantly leaking a stream of VERY rusty water (2-3 quarts) across the utility room floor. This leak doesn't seem related to the circulator pumps or the oil burner's firing. It's happened twice now in 2 weeks. The boiler pressure is fine (it's on automatic refill). I never touch the house thermostat, so that's not triggering it. This spillage is not affecting the heat for the house, but I'm wondering what's wrong? The water seems to be coming out of the right front corner of the furnace unit, at the base.

Could the heating coil inside the boiler be leaking? If so, can the coil simply be replaced, or must I get a whole new furnace? If the coil actually can be replaced, would that be worth it? Are there other internal parts of this furnace that might be ready to also go bad? I'm a 62-yr old woman, and I'm afraid the repairman will play on my ignorance of the mechanics involved here, and insist that a whole new furnace is needed, when in fact, a few hundred dollars of repair work might also provide an effective solution. Would appreciate some advice on this from others who may have dealt with this same problem. Thanks!

Reply to
Quarterdeck

What you have there is a boiler, not a furnace. It could have a crack in it or a leak between the sections that make up the unit,especially since your leak seems to be under the jacket, and not visible. Check with the company that services the unit, then decide how to proceed

Reply to
RBM

30 years old ? I wouldn't hesitate - just replace it. Newer ones are much more efficient and will pay you back in several years.
Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Two things to check

  1. Is that rusty water for sure or is it a water/antifreeze mix?

  1. Is it possible the water leak is coming from the temperature-and-pressure relief valve drain pipe and then running with the pitch of the floor to make it look like it is coming from under the front of the boiler?

Reply to
Jackson