Rusty Tool Stand

Page 2 of 3
On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 16:39:54 -0500, Norminn wrote:

Something like that, I expect. It looked maybe 9" long, 1/4" wide - the doc broke it in half to poke at my eye with, though.

Yes, I think I remember the doctor mentioning that sometimes happening, too.

Ouch. I've heard of people doing that with drills many a time, but not with a lathe.

I was probably lucky there - it was actually almost a week before I went in. At first I thought I just had something trapped between the eye and eyelid, so I kept rinsing my eye with eyewash (and I did keep getting little bits and pieces of crap out). It was only after several days that I noticed there was something embedded in my eyeball - it was black and right over my pupil, so very difficult to see except with a strong light (and although my vision was a little blurry on that side, I was putting that down to the saline washes and irritation from the stuff that I was occasionally still getting out).
cheers
Jules
On 2/16/2012 6:44 PM, Jules Richardson wrote:

I've never seen it used to poke an eye with. Normal use is to moisten the cotton with sterile saline and then use it to lift out the f.b., usually with as little contact as possible with the eye itself. I've also seen docs use a hypodermic needle to lift out f.b.s...requires that the user have very good vision and a steady hand :o)

And you got away without a vision problem??? Lucky you!

Safety glasses saved my eye a few years back.
While I was building my deck, I used a couple of 3' bar clamps to hold a railing on the posts and stepped back a few feet to see how it looked. One of these clamps, but the 36" variety:
http://woodworker.com/images/ss/109-253.jpg
The bar end of the clamp was sticking out into the yard, and as I walked back towards the deck, my "depth of focus" was on the railing. The tiny end of the bar clamp was essentially invisible.
About 3 feet from the deck, my head snapped back as the bar clamp hit square in the middle of the left lens, gouging the plastic. The lens deflected the bar clamp upwards to where it took a divot out of my forehead.
Based on where it hit the lens, I can only assume it would have pushed my eyeball at least a few inches into my head had I not been wearing the safety glasses.
On 2/16/2012 8:55 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Good God!!! It makes me cringe to read this :o) I've always wanted to try woodworking but haven't the nerve to use a power saw ... always have visions of the blade flying out or something....sticking to making quilts right now :o) I have no nerve when it comes to injuries...once got a big, fat oak sliver under my thumb nail whilst refinishing furniture. Didn't have the nerve to pull it out, and since it was diagonal it took only two or three days to fester enough to slide out the side of my thumb :o)

I was the "sliver removing king" in my house as the kids were growing up.
Even the most squeamish of my 4 would allow me to dig and poke and - yes - even cut, to get the slivers out.
They saw one infection caused by a sliver and knew that the brief moments of pain to remove it were worth it.
My daughter, when she was 11, even let me push a glowing hot paper clip through her nail to release the pressure from the blood after it got caught in a door.
For 2 days she suffered in pain until she finally let me do it. She screamed in fear when I first did it, but the relief was so instantaneous that she started laughing through her tears.
clipped

I had a nifty little drill for smashed fingernails. Don't know that I would/could ever let anyone use one on me. I am a chicken about pain, more of a chicken about inflicting pain on others....I was always nervous while drilling nails that it would let go when the nail was penetrated, but it always went well.
Poor souls from polishing department used to arrive at my office, speechless, accompanied by supervisor. Skin color usually green to gray, slightly sweaty. Stainless steel going about 90 mph after it snags on the polishing belt had that effect on guys...never examined the alleged injury; just put 'em on the gurney, handed 'em an ice bag and left 'em alone for a while.
Sounds like you and I could team up, and write "emergency medicine for dummies". Me, also, really totally hate to do that gooey medical stuff. One of the reasons I try not to stop for traffic wrecks. I encounter a lot less blood and yukk that way.
I had a nifty little drill for smashed fingernails. Don't know that I would/could ever let anyone use one on me. I am a chicken about pain, more of a chicken about inflicting pain on others....I was always nervous while drilling nails that it would let go when the nail was penetrated, but it always went well.
Poor souls from polishing department used to arrive at my office, speechless, accompanied by supervisor. Skin color usually green to gray, slightly sweaty. Stainless steel going about 90 mph after it snags on the polishing belt had that effect on guys...never examined the alleged injury; just put 'em on the gurney, handed 'em an ice bag and left 'em alone for a while.

It is absolutely freaking amazing how much your eye moves from the time of the incident until you get to the doctor and get it out. In that time, it is cutting the inside your eyelid, and that drives you nuts.
Steve
www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com
Tegger wrote:

Yes. Every time I think of rooting around inside someone's eyeball, I think of Harry. Regrettably, there are few, if any, nerves inside the eye.

Cannot imagine it because I had to do it three times. Twice while wearing safety goggles, and something went past them. Once while caught in a desert dust devil, and some plant matter got stuck in there. I wonder now if with the super magnets if they can just pull out ferric debris. Old welders used one hair off a horse's mane.
Steve
clipped

Don't want to ... I recently began growing cataracts, so somewhere down the line I'll be trying it out. Can't give general anesthetic for most eye surgery because of possibility of nausea/vomiting afterward. Also have an "excitement stage" going in and coming out of gen. anes., which might cause a hit to the eye thrashing around or too much of a raise in pressure. Normally not much to it, other that trying to move around a little bit.
Add "wear shoes" to the list of protective. I've stood on those little filaments, and got them into the bottoms of my feet. No fun.
Always wear eye protection - and even face protection - when using a rotating wire brush. Those little filaments of steel sometimes come loose and fly through the air like a harpoon.
On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 16:24:38 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Possibly not as bad as a rusty upturned nail sticking through a board - they don't care about shoes... :-)
On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 00:30:05 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson

Which is why I don't leave nails in boards. It takes longer but either they come out or get cut flush, as the demolition moves along.

I have welded since 1974. I bet I have pulled at least 100 of those little pieces out of my face, arms, chest, everywhere. As stated, take care of your safety. If you go blind, they send you home early.
Steve
www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com
On 2/15/2012 4:29 PM, Arthur Shapiro wrote:

You could bring it to a shop with a large sandblast cabinet

Yep. Sand/bead blast or look for a used welding grinder (straight) for a wire wheel. None of these are cheap. May be better off buying a new stand.
nb
--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!

or rent a sandblasting setup. there are also rust-converting paints.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Find a local sand-blasting company and see if you can "piggyback" on a job. He's all set up somewhere doing a job, you drop the pedestal off, and he gives it a swipe with the gun charging you just for time and sand, with no setup cost.

Be sure to mention it will be ca$h. They love those.